Question CPU Overheats while gaming, found the problem but can't solve

Jun 23, 2019
My CPU: Intel core i5 4200u 1.6ghz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 820m
Device: ASUS X550l Laptop

I could play GTA V, PES 2017 and games like that in medium/low graphics even a few months ago. Suddenly, it all started lagging, I tried every fix thinking my GPU had problems but after using MSI afterburner I saw that the actual problem was my CPU usage reaching 100% after some time in the game. I cleaned the dust and then noticed something. I played some games with the CPU naked (exposed, lid open) and they were running fine. Cpu usage was reaching near 60%-70%. But when I screwed back the upper dock(the keyboard dock) over it, the same problem. While the CPU was open, I noticed the fan releasing hot air upwards, naturally, my CPU was overheating with the keyboard dock screwed. I don't know what to do now, never used a cooling pad and don't know if they work. Any fix?

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador
Taking of the CPU cooler, cleaning the remaining thermal compound with ear cleaning tips and rubbing alcohol, and then re-applying pea-sized thermal compound (Which you can buy from most tech stores).

Undervolting your CPU could also help.

Jun 23, 2019
My CPU: Intel core i5 4200u 1.6ghz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce 820m
Device: ASUS X550l Laptop

I could play GTA V, PES 2017 and games like that in medium/low graphics even a few months ago. Suddenly, it all started lagging, I tried every fix thinking my GPU had problems but after using MSI afterburner I saw that the actual problem was my CPU usage reaching 100% after some time in the game. I cleaned the dust and then noticed something. I played some games with the CPU naked (exposed, lid open) and they were running fine. Cpu usage was reaching near 60%-70%. But when I screwed back the upper dock(the keyboard dock) over it, the same problem. While the CPU was open, I noticed the fan releasing hot air upwards, naturally, my CPU was overheating with the keyboard dock screwed. I don't know what to do now, never used a cooling pad and don't know if they work. Any fix?
Yeah, I was thinking about that but I have a question. My laptop didn't come with any thermal paste. The whole CPU+motherboard was just covered with a plastic sheet. So will a thermal compound work on my laptop?

Will definitely try. Should I buy one those hot air extractors? Do they work at all?
I have never used one sorry.
Yeah, I was thinking about that but I have a question. My laptop didn't come with any thermal paste. The whole CPU+motherboard was just covered with a plastic sheet. So will a thermal compound work on my laptop?
The thermal compound would go on the cpu between the cooler plate and cpu plate. if the cpu was covered in a plastic film did it prevent air flow from the cpu cooling fan?

Jun 23, 2019
I have never used one sorry.
The thermal compound would go on the CPU between the cooler plate and CPU plate. if the CPU was covered in a plastic film did it prevent air flow from the CPU cooling fan?
Yes, it did. Seems like I'm not the only one facing this. Checked in youtube, all the videos were asking to check if there was a plastic cover on CPU. If there is, Peel that off. Apparently, a lot of companies don't bother to take off the cover and install it anyway. It not only increases the heat but also collects dust. I peeled it off and have ordered some thermal paste+Air extractor+Cooling Pad. Let's see. I'll post the results.