CPU overloaded XP

philipo71

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I have a Sony Vaio about 7 years old. It's running XP sp 3 with a pentium M 1.73ghz processor. Over the last few weeks it has got slower and slower and now the cpu is always running high. I have run several mal/spyware programs but no problem. After some research i checked if it was a problem with offline files as i have noticed high usage in winlogon howeverit seems that xp has no offline function. I am now downloading process explorer as task manager does not open correctly. Any advice what my next step should be? I am by no means an expert so please go easy on me! I hope i can fix this soon as i need this for my job.

Solution

This can happen because your resources are exhausting your system memory you can always add more system memory...

This can happen because your resources are exhausting your system memory you can always add more system memory but the first step is to limit those resources being used.

Click Start, select run, type in msconfig and hit OK.
It opens the System Configuration Window, yours should be on Normal startup and even if it isn't select, Selective Startup.
Now click on the Startup Tab, Click on the Disable All, now scroll through the list and when you find your Anti-Virus application check the box next ti it only, then click Apply and then click OK.

If you get a restart warning click OK to what you did.

When the computer restarts it will tell you, you've changed the startup configuration, put a check in Do Not Run Configuration check Utility and click OK.

The only thing that will start automatically will be your AV application and a massive amount of resources will be cleared.

Now did that help your situation?

Solution

philipo71

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks for your reply. Before i did as you suggested i ran one more check with a beta version of malwarebytes and i got a warning:: DDA Driver was not installed, it may be caused by rootkit activity. Restart to install. As for RAM, i upgraded with 1 gb from the factory 512mb so i don't think that's an issue. Should i restart as it says?

philipo71

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Yes , i cancelled the scan, cleared out the startup as you advised and ran the scan again with a restart to install the DDA Driver. After several attempts to boot up with flashes of blue screen it has but now i have a cmd..exe box on my home screen. By the way before the way 2nd scan it started much faster. Good news!
Update: after the .cmd.exe box appeared the malware box also came up and i am currently rescanning. I have minimised the cmd window, should i do anything with that?

philipo71

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Yes, it's looking good thanks. I have had many false attempts over the last few weeks so you may hear from me again! But for now it seems sweet. Thanks very much for your help.

philipo71

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
As i suspected may happen the problem hasn't gone away..it starts up quicker but then the cpu usage varies wildly. At start up i have been getting a blue screen error message too and it takes a few attempts to reboot it.

Then you need to run a HDD diagnostic utility and Memory diagnostic, to rule out errors from them.

You can get the HDD diagnostic download from your HDDs website and you can Google Memtest to get the memory diagnostic download.