GabrielGeog

Commendable
Feb 23, 2019
Hi

I'm not a expert when it comes to PC hardware but I think I know the basics. Today I turned my pc on to find this error message "CPU overvoltage error - press F1 to go to setup", so I googled about it and I opened my pc, took off the cooler that's placed on my processor and cleaned it properly + removed/cleaned the old thermal paste (I think I applied it 5 months ago) and of course I replaced with new thermal paste after. Then, I put on the cooler again and the PC turned on normally. So far I've been using it for 2 hours constantly without any error or anything.

I didn't do any overclock and my BIOS is on its default settings except for Turbo Mode (which If I leave it on, my PC freezes sometimes and I really have no clue why this happens).

All PC drivers + BIOS drivers up to date.

Anyway, I guess this error was pretty random and I'm kinda worried about the situation. Should I really worry? Why this overvoltage error occurred? I'm afraid it will show up again... But I really hope not. Thank you for your attention and for your help.

MY PC Specs:

Windows 10 64bit
ASUSTek H61M-A/BR
16 GB RAM (2x8)
Intel Core i7-3770 3.40GHz, 3400 Mhz
GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Solution
A number of things can be attributed to "CPU overvoltage error ". It can be a problem with your PSU (if the issue has just occurred out of the blue and where no overclocking has occurred ) It can even be a bad CMOS battery.

If the issue is the PSU then that is serious so check that first by swapping with a known working unit of the same or higher wattage and list your PSU for evaluation. You can also check your rail voltages with AIDA64 or hwinfo64.

Your CPU needs good reliable and efficient voltage. Too high or too low can damage your CPU.
First clear your CMOS then go into Bios and disable turbo mode to check see if there is a difference.
A number of things can be attributed to "CPU overvoltage error ". It can be a problem with your PSU (if the issue has just occurred out of the blue and where no overclocking has occurred ) It can even be a bad CMOS battery.

If the issue is the PSU then that is serious so check that first by swapping with a known working unit of the same or higher wattage and list your PSU for evaluation. You can also check your rail voltages with AIDA64 or hwinfo64.

Your CPU needs good reliable and efficient voltage. Too high or too low can damage your CPU.
First clear your CMOS then go into Bios and disable turbo mode to check see if there is a difference.

Reactions: GabrielGeog
Solution

GabrielGeog

Commendable
Feb 23, 2019

Thank you for your help. I never did any overclock.
Actually, do you mean leaving turbo mode on? Because the freezes happens when it's on.
By "Cleaning CMOS" do you mean resetting bios to default settings or doing a reseat in the CMOS battery? Btw does turbo mode really have a difference in any way?

Disabling Turbo Mode will lower the demand on your CPU in order to check if peak demand is more than the PSU can provide . A failing PSU can show this symptom so check it out as it can bring down other hardware .

Yes clearing CMOS will bring Bios back to default.
If your system CMOS battery CR2032 is failing, it can cause this problem. Only about $4 and worth replacing.
Turbo Mode is a good thing if your system is stable and provides additional performance when required.
List your PSU as requested and please report back.

GabrielGeog

Commendable
Feb 23, 2019
Disabling Turbo Mode will lower the demand on your CPU in order to check if peak demand is more than the PSU can provide . A failing PSU can show this symptom so check it out as it can bring down other hardware .

Yes clearing CMOS will bring Bios back to default.
If your system CMOS battery CR2032 is failing, it can cause this problem. Only about $4 and worth replacing.
Turbo Mode is a good thing if your system is stable and provides additional performance when required.
List your PSU as requested and please report back.

My PSU is Corsair CX600 and it's 4 years old.

Like I told you, I already run my bios in default settings but without turbo mode enabled because of the freezes it causes on the system sometimes.

Right now anyway I cleared CMOS (without disabling turbo mode) and I'll test, but I'm almost sure the freezes will occur again (it always did with turbo mode enabled, I believe since I got this PC 4 years ago).

Do you believe this error could be because the PSU hasn't been cleaned for all these years? I really never bothered about cleaning it. I can try to follow a tutorial from the internet to clean it properly.

Last edited:
The Corsair CX600 was a bronze rated budget PSU of questionable quality and efficiency. I think you should either have it tested or replaced. 4years is a good run for that unit. The PSU is the lifeblood of any system and not to be underestimated. A failing PSU can do damage to other hardware especially the CPU.

If you have run your system without Turbo Mode and it freezes then definitely swap the unit out to test

Dust can indeed build up and bad things can happen however,it would have to be really bad. You should give your whole system a good clean as pockets of dust can cause major issues. With the system fully powered down, Initially vacuum carefully any bad buildups then use Compressed air from a cylinder. Follow a good guide .

GabrielGeog

Commendable
Feb 23, 2019
The Corsair CX600 was a bronze rated budget PSU of questionable quality and efficiency. I think you should either have it tested or replaced. 4years is a good run for that unit. The PSU is the lifeblood of any system and not to be underestimated. A failing PSU can do damage to other hardware especially the CPU.

If you have run your system without Turbo Mode and it freezes then definitely swap the unit out to test

Dust can indeed build up and bad things can happen however,it would have to be really bad. You should give your whole system a good clean as pockets of dust can cause major issues. With the system fully powered down, Initially vacuum carefully any bad buildups then use Compressed air from a cylinder. Follow a good guide .

Thank you once again. I just cleaned it, it took me a long time but it wasn't hard. It was full of dust. Everywhere.

I think you're misunderstanding a bit about the turbo mode:
With turbo mode on, it freezes the whole system sometimes and I have to reboot Windows so I can use it again.
But with turbo mode off, everything works perfectly fine without freezes.

I read here

https://community.intel.com/t5/Proc...using-crashes-blue-screens/td-p/698571/page/2

that this crashes happening with turbo mode on might be due to hardware compatibility. Maybe this is the case?

Or do you really think I should replace my PSU? If so, which one do you recommend? One that's good but not expensive, if it's possible? Thanks once again.

Jul 26, 2020
Thank you once again. I just cleaned it, it took me a long time but it wasn't hard. It was full of dust. Everywhere.

I think you're misunderstanding a bit about the turbo mode:
With turbo mode on, it freezes the whole system sometimes and I have to reboot Windows so I can use it again.
But with turbo mode off, everything works perfectly fine without freezes.

I read here

https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/Intel-Turbo-Boost-causing-crashes-blue-screens/td-p/698571/page/2

that this crashes happening with turbo mode on might be due to hardware compatibility. Maybe this is the case?

Or do you really think I should replace my PSU? If so, which one do you recommend? One that's good but not expensive, if it's possible? Thanks once again.

Don't save money on a PSU, if you can, I recommend you buy a PLUS GOLD.

GabrielGeog

Commendable
Feb 23, 2019
I really wanna know first if my PSU really needs a replacement or not. I never had trouble with it to this day. Can I do a health test from home, by myself? With HWMonitor or something?

@MeanMachine41

This is what shows in my bios (it seems everything is normal as it should be?)

Iaro22s.png

Last edited:
I am not misunderstanding your issue with Turbo Mode.!!

When enabled one of your CPU cores will increase it's frequency during peak demand. This is when your system may shut down if the PSU can't cope. As I've said before, there are a number of things that can cause your issue. You have to start somewhere with a method and the CMOS battery and PSU are best to start with. Why do you think a PSU would last forever? A bronze rated may last for just beyond the warranty whereas a gold or platinum rated unit would last a lot longer in the same circumstance and provide better efficiency.

Maybe excessive dust was the issue. You'll soon find out however if it continues then as stated you can swap it out. As also stated you can check your rail voltages using Aida64 or hwinfo64. If voltages are below spec (+_-5%) then don't risk it and buy a new unit. With Aida64 you can stress test your system. If there is a problem it will find it. There are guides to help you use the product which is free.

There is only one way to fully determine if a PSU is failing or cannot cope with demand (without taking the unit to an electronics shop) and that is to swap out the unit with a known working unit of same wattage or higher.

The Bios screen your showing does not fully determine the condition of your system. It shows details of your system at idle and does not represent the system under load.

BTW: When choosing a PSU and you have a tight budget then shop around. Choose a gold rated unit of the same Wattage you have now. Good brands I recommend are Seasonic , EVGA ,Antec

Last edited:

GabrielGeog

Commendable
Feb 23, 2019
I am not misunderstanding your issue with Turbo Mode.!!

When enabled one of your CPU cores will increase it's frequency during peak demand. This is when your system may shut down if the PSU can't cope. As I've said before, there are a number of things that can cause your issue. You have to start somewhere with a method and the CMOS battery and PSU are best to start with. Why do you think a PSU would last forever? A bronze rated may last for just beyond the warranty whereas a gold or platinum rated unit would last a lot longer in the same circumstance and provide better efficiency.

Maybe excessive dust was the issue. You'll soon find out however if it continues then as stated you can swap it out. As also stated you can check your rail voltages using Aida64 or hwinfo64. If voltages are below spec (+_-5%) then don't risk it and buy a new unit. With Aida64 you can stress test your system. If there is a problem it will find it. There are guides to help you use the product which is free.

There is only one way to fully determine if a PSU is failing or cannot cope with demand (without taking the unit to an electronics shop) and that is to swap out the unit with a known working unit of same wattage or higher.

The Bios screen your showing does not fully determine the condition of your system. It shows details of your system at idle and does not represent the system under load.

I'm not saying that a psu can last forever. I just wanted to know if that was my case because I really don't want to spend money on something that I might not need right now, specially here in Brazil where things like that are quite expensive, unfortunately.

Cleaned the entire pc, PSU, etc, reapplied new thermal paste again and tomorrow I'll buy a new CMOS battery to replace the old one. After that I'll keep a look about how my pc will perform. I'll also run this stress test you mentioned. Then with time, If I see this error coming back, I'll buy a new PSU.

Thank you for your help.