CPU Package 0 Temp fluctuates like crazy - PC shuts down

Konrad_3

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015
CPU: AMD A10-6700
Motherboard: ASUS F2A85-V PRO

Last week my PC seemingly started overheating and throttling down in games before shutting off. I checked my temperatures with HwInfo, HwMonitor and AMD Overdrive to find that the CPU Package 0 temp is fluctuating like crazy between 50 and 70 deg C on Idle and up to 90 deg C under load.

After dusting my PC and changing the thermal paste, Overdrive shows me at 30 deg C below thermal margin while under load, but HwInfo and HwMonitor still say the CPU Package 0 temp fluctuates (50 – 70 on idle, 80 under load). Also, I have a bunch of sensors (AUXTEMP, AUXTIN) stuck on 105 deg C at startup and staying like that.

In BIOS my CPU temp is a constant 35-38 deg C on startup.

So, is it possible that I have some busted sensors? Can I even get them changed?

HwMonitor: https://imgur.com/mRRV6Bi

HwInfo: https://imgur.com/bDaTUrP

Konrad_3

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

Hello, yes the fan is working and is set at max speed (I have a physical "control panel" on my case with knobs for fan speeds). The thermal paste has just been replaced today and I believe the heatsink is properly seated. When my problems started (on Friday) I did check my heatsink's temp by hand and it was indeed cool to the touch. Now I think it makes contact perfectly.

What bewilders me is that BIOS says my CPU temp is fine (34 on reboot), but every temp monitoring software shows CPU Package temps go haywire at the click of a mouse button.

If it's cool to the touch and your computer is shutting down with apparent overheating, then the only things it can be are a temperature sensor and the cooler not being properly mounted. It's kind of hard to help you while not being there. Maybe try updating the BIOS and see if that magically fixes something, but otherwise you might have to explore options like trying to find another motherboard to test the CPU on or buying new hardware.

Konrad_3

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

That's what I was afraid of myself. To be honest, I have yet to experience shutdowns after changing the thermal paste today, but those Idle temp fluctuations make me a bit too worried to try and put it to the test.

When my PC shut down on Friday I was playing GTA V and noticed the CPU throttling before turning off. Now I tried a somewhat lighter game and Overdrive shows I'm ~ 30 - 35 degrees C under thermal margin, which are decent results I think...