CPU Package Temp Fluctuating Like Crazy

TikPandora

Honorable
Dec 18, 2016
Hello everyone. I just got a new PC the other day, and today while messing around with HWMonitor I noticed something strange. As a very paranoid individual, I began to worry almost immediately about something being wrong either with a sensor or with my system itself.

Basically, the issue arises when looking at the "Package Temp" value. The CPU itself never reports above 35 degrees Celsius at idle (when I mean idle I mean while running Chrome with multiple tabs), but it seems to jump quite rapidly from around 21 to 35 with the cores reporting different temps and the package as a whole jumping around like mad.(This also applies and seems to correspond with the frequency.) The reading from my Gigabyte MOBO always is 40-41 degrees without the dramatic jumps of the FX readings.

Is this normal, or is something wrong with my processor/MOBO?

AMD FX-6300 hexa-core at 3.5 GHz (No overclock)
8GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Home
XFX AMD Radeon RX 560 (2GB) Graphics

35 degrees Celsius is cooler than your body; you should use your PC instead of monitoring it. If you absolutely want to monitor the CPU, then use AMD Overdrive that reports the more accurate thermal margins (distance to throttle). Your CPU can't be as cool as 21 degrees Celsius unless you use it in a room where the ambient temperature is no more than 12-15 degrees.

TikPandora

Honorable
Dec 18, 2016

The concern I have though is that it can jump from ten degrees and then back again within the course of a second. It makes me think something might be wrong. It even seems to do this in AMD Overdrive when looking at the distance to throttle temp.