[SOLVED] CPU paired with MSI 980ti?

Mar 22, 2020
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is dumb or easy to find elsewhere but I don' t really know what to do lol!

I am looking for a new CPU as my current i5-4690 is bottle-necking my GPU (I think)

My rig:

Z97P-D3 motherboard
8GB DDR3
i5-4690
GTX 980TI (MSI 6GB)

I am also looking to upgrade to 16GB of RAM, but would it have to be DDR3 or can I get DDR4?

I can run most games well, but the newer games seem to be destroying my PC and I can't play them - for example I tried to run Warzone on all low and within 5mins the game crashed, with apps like discord not working.

Which processor would be best so I can start running the new games well? Would I also need a new motherboard?

Sorry for being such a noob, I'm not great with all this stuff and so need all the help I can get!

Thanks a lot guys!

Solution
Hi again, so after doing some research I think I’m going to upgrade my MB, ram and cpu. Do you think the R7 3700X would be better than the R5 3600 as I can afford it?
What type of cooling would I need? Is the stock cooler good enough? Would it pair ok with my gpu?
Also in terms of motherboards, I’m correct in thinking my MB now is ATX and the b450 is also atx, so does that mean it would just fit in my case now?
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it
If you were to go for new stuff, 3600 should be just as good as 3700x if you are not streaming.
Either have cooler good enough if no overclocking.
All ATX MBs are same size.
A good b450 MB would be MSI b450 with suffix MAX.
Don't forget you would need DDR4 memory too. Ads...
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is dumb or easy to find elsewhere but I don' t really know what to do lol!

I am looking for a new CPU as my current i5-4690 is bottle-necking my GPU (I think)

My rig:

Z97P-D3 motherboard
8GB DDR3
i5-4690
GTX 980TI (MSI 6GB)

I am also looking to upgrade to 16GB of RAM, but would it have to be DDR3 or can I get DDR4?

I can run most games well, but the newer games seem to be destroying my PC and I can't play them - for example I tried to run Warzone on all low and within 5mins the game crashed, with apps like discord not working.

Which processor would be best so I can start running the new games well? Would I also need a new motherboard?

Sorry for being such a noob, I'm not great with all this stuff and so need all the help I can get!

Thanks a lot guys!
Gaming wise you already have best CPU for that MB. Upgrading to 16GB of RAM would help a bit but you are limited to DDR3, again limited by MB but also CPU.
Can't think of any other improvements other than new system including CPU. MB and RAM as there's nothing new and more powerful compatible with what you have.

Your game should not be crashing, and if so, something is wrong....

IN any event, an i5 from a few generations ago is but quad core/quad thread, now marginal at maintaining sufficient minimum FPS in many games these days,,,

An R5-3600 / B450 combo with a 16 GB kit (2 x 8 GB) of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM is a quite popular/sensible starting point these days...and for good reason

Mar 22, 2020
Gaming wise you already have best CPU for that MB. Upgrading to 16GB of RAM would help a bit but you are limited to DDR3, again limited by MB but also CPU.
Can't think of any other improvements other than new system including CPU. MB and RAM as there's nothing new and more powerful compatible with what you have.
Thanks for your reply! What would you recommend upgrading to if I was to buy a new motherboard etc?

Mar 22, 2020
Depends on your budget, best deals right now are with AMD, Ryzen 3600 + b450 mB + 2x8GB of DDR4, 3200MHz RAM.
Would this run the modern titles? Also, would this bottleneck my graphics card? Sorry to sound like an idiot, I’m just confused. I want to be able to run the modern titles and have it somewhat future proofed. Sorry again.

Mar 22, 2020
Yes, would run practically everything. As far as "bottleneck " is concerned, any such bottleneck would be your GPU for resolutions above 1008p.
Hi again, so after doing some research I think I’m going to upgrade my MB, ram and cpu. Do you think the R7 3700X would be better than the R5 3600 as I can afford it?
What type of cooling would I need? Is the stock cooler good enough? Would it pair ok with my gpu?
Also in terms of motherboards, I’m correct in thinking my MB now is ATX and the b450 is also atx, so does that mean it would just fit in my case now?

If you were to go for new stuff, 3600 should be just as good as 3700x if you are not streaming.
Either have cooler good enough if no overclocking.
All ATX MBs are same size.
A good b450 MB would be MSI b450 with suffix MAX.
Don't forget you would need DDR4 memory too. Ads quite a bit to system price.
Ad on:
what @hdgaming said, is also an option but some AAA games may need detail reduction.

Solution