Question CPU Percentile usage is low while gaming, and not sure whether something's wrong or not. Please help

Feb 22, 2019
CPU Model: Intel Core i5-8250U Quad core, 4 Cores, 8 CPUs, 6 MB Smartcache 1.6Ghz upto 3.40Ghz Intel turbo boost.
GPU 940mx.
Gpu usage is stable at 99%, but CPU is normally at 32-40%, and clock varies between 1.9ghz to 2.8 ghz or rarely more than 2.90ghz.
Is there a way to make cpu concentrate more on gaming and increase usage?
I saw a video of Just Cause 3 gameplay on an i5-7200U where the CPU Usage is around 60-65%, and there is a difference in the performance compared to mine.
Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As the GPU is at 99%. There is nothing left for the CPU to do. The GPU is limiting performance. All you can do is lower detail settings if you want higher FPS. As the GPU will be able to render more frames at a lower detail. The CPU can feed it more frames.

Feb 22, 2019
I am playing at the same settings as the guy in the YouTube video with the i5-7200U.
Maybe I should select 'prefer maximum performance' in Nvidia Control Panel.
Would That help?
In my opinion, the Nvidia MX150 is the right GPU for this CPU model. The 940mx bonds well with the 7200U and not the 8250U as mine..

InvalidError

Titan
If a game uses only four threads to do the bulk of its processing and you are running it on a 4C8T CPU, the game will never use more than about 50% of the CPU since it lacks the extra heavy-lifting threads necessary to make use of those extra cores/threads.

If you are seeing ~100% GPU usage, then you have a hard GPU bottleneck and as pointed out by others, the only thing you can do about that is reduce your graphical details so the GPU does not need to work as hard to render individual frames and can work on pushing more frames per second instead.

Reactions: souvik33