Question CPU Performance drops while playing game and Huge FPs dropped... Plz help

juyelbd60

Prominent
Sep 23, 2018
I have a Asus x556uq. Suddenly i am facing FPS problem when i play game. In this laptop when i play game cpu performance drop and also FPS drop from 50 to 4 or 5 FPS. When its show 4 or 5 fps then the game can't play and also the game lag. This situation remains 8 or 10 sec. After 8 or 10 sec the game again playable smoothly. Also its show near about 50 Fps. After playing sometimes then the game again lag and drop FPS from 50 to 4 or 5 Fps and its again remain 8 or 10 sec and after 10 second its again playable smoothly.

This happened in every game. Just like battlefield 1, gta san etc.

I updater my bios
Reinstall all drivers
Also set up windows 10 newly

But the problem don't solved😥😥😥😥
Now what is the solution??

( sorry for my bad english)

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
This sounds like not enought RAm memory and using hdd to cache data. A first step is to monitor cpu temp, gpu temp and ram usage. Also check your hdd smart data (especially health state)

I doubt its a low ram, drop from 50 to 5fps is huge.
As I saw the spec this laptop has 16gb of ram? and 2gb vram.

I would check the temperatures first and see maybe cpu or gpu is overheating then it gets throttled down.
Some cards, I had experience with older Radeons, some effects like fire and smoke can cause huge fps drops.

Reactions: RodroX
I had a similar issue with my MSI laptop 4720HQ and GTX 950M. My issue was heat since the CPU cores were very close to 100C and it was throttling. CPU was 47W and that is a lot for a thin laptop. Your laptop is even thinner than the MSI I have.
I opened the laptop and cleaned the dust, removed CPU and GPU coolers and applied some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Temperatures dropped by 20C on both the CPU and GPU, the fps dips were gone.

Heat is a common issue with small/thin gaming laptops. I got the thinnest gaming laptop possible for portability without knowing that it would overheat.

You can also get a special cheap external fan that sucks the hot air coming from the side exhaust of the laptop or better yet a laptop cooler pad for about 20$.

Last edited:

juyelbd60

Prominent
Sep 23, 2018
This sounds like not enought RAm memory and using hdd to cache data. A first step is to monitor cpu temp, gpu temp and ram usage. Also check your hdd smart data (especially health state)
Thanks for help
Sorry for late reply. My laptop config is
Core i5 7th gen
12 gb ram ( Ddr4 2400mhz)
Graphics card 940mx

juyelbd60

Prominent
Sep 23, 2018
I doubt its a low ram, drop from 50 to 5fps is huge.
As I saw the spec this laptop has 16gb of ram? and 2gb vram.

I would check the temperatures first and see maybe cpu or gpu is overheating then it gets throttled down.
Some cards, I had experience with older Radeons, some effects like fire and smoke can cause huge fps drops.
Thanks for reply. This problem also happened when i play with integred intet hd 620.

juyelbd60

Prominent
Sep 23, 2018
I had a similar issue with my MSI laptop 4720HQ and GTX 950M. My issue was heat since the CPU cores were very close to 100C and it was throttling. CPU was 47W and that is a lot for a thin laptop. Your laptop is even thinner than the MSI I have.
I opened the laptop and cleaned the dust, removed CPU and GPU coolers and applied some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Temperatures dropped by 20C on both the CPU and GPU, the fps dips were gone.

Heat is a common issue with small/thin gaming laptops. I got the thinnest gaming laptop possible for portability without knowing that it would overheat.

You can also get a special cheap external fan that sucks the hot air coming from the side exhaust of the laptop or better yet a laptop cooler pad for about 20$.
Thanks for reply. I some days ago i open my laptop. Clean all dust, clean cooling fan, also i put new paste in cpu and gpu very carefully. But problem not solved😔😔😔😔

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Thanks for reply. This problem also happened when i play with integred intet hd 620.

Ok then monitor your temps. You can use MSI afterburner with rivatuner so you can monitor them in real time. Also you can enable usage of cpu, gpu and hdd/ssd and monitor that also with temps.

Also, use some free hdd test tools and check health of your hard drive.

You can also check the ram health with windows integrated test tool.