CPU performance in games or workstation

omar80747326

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
What can make any CPU record high fps in games even on highest 4k settings?, and what's required to make a well optimized CPU for workstation?

Solution
High FPS @ 4K with highest settings... well sounds like you need two high end graphics cards such as GTX 1180 (TI), yet to be released :) As for the CPU to allow those graphics cards to reach their potential, you are going to need a CPU with fast cores and a reasonable number of them. You might like to look at Intel i7-8700K... 6 cores that are pretty much the quickest out there. Even with all that grunt, your mileage will vary game to game.

Regarding CPU optimized for work station... it depends what sort of work you are doing and software you are using. Some workloads can take advantage of many cores and you can spend thousands of dollars on multi CPU setups. Other workloads/software don't need anything special... an i7-8700K...

danthemanoz

Great
May 15, 2018
High FPS @ 4K with highest settings... well sounds like you need two high end graphics cards such as GTX 1180 (TI), yet to be released :) As for the CPU to allow those graphics cards to reach their potential, you are going to need a CPU with fast cores and a reasonable number of them. You might like to look at Intel i7-8700K... 6 cores that are pretty much the quickest out there. Even with all that grunt, your mileage will vary game to game.

Regarding CPU optimized for work station... it depends what sort of work you are doing and software you are using. Some workloads can take advantage of many cores and you can spend thousands of dollars on multi CPU setups. Other workloads/software don't need anything special... an i7-8700K will take care of just about anything you throw at it without costing the earth.

Solution
Workstations come in many configurations to do many things other than gaming. 1 or 2 CPU, how many cores, how many threads, RAM capacity can exceed 100GB. Virtualization also. How many GPUs. RAID and SAS arrays. Generally a fast 4-6 core CPU with large 3 level cache, and enough RAM to cover the OS + any GPU caching. Memory bandwidth and speed can limit CPU performance also.