Question CPU performance worsened

Jun 19, 2018
I recently replaced/upgraded my old GPU. In the process, I put my old APU in place of the CPU to use its iGPU for troubleshooting the new gpu (it wasn't displaying). It turns out that the problem was my CPU OC settings (I don't know why), so I had to reset BIOS. I then put my CPU back in, but its performing very bad. Even without the OC I didn't expect this bad performance. Even CSGO stutters a lot. The temps are fine (60s range) but the CPU usage hits 100 a lot. I scanned for malware, but still no luck. Why is this happening? And why won't the GPU display when CPU is OCed even slightly?

My specs are:
Athlon X4 740 (Locked multiplier, was OCed by increasing FSB)
XFX RX 560D DD (replaced GTX 460)
Gigabyte GA-F2A55M-DS2 (rev. 3.0)
8 Gb DDR3
Corsair VS450

Jun 19, 2018
Try uninstalling gpu drivers using ddu and reinstalling drivers. I would assume drivers got messed up when you installed an apu with different gpu built in. That cpu is quite weak.
That did happen actually. Games were crashing at launch and a few times the pc rebooted, so I did that and that problem is fixed (hopefully). I realized this problem later when I tried some CPU intensive games like BF4 and CSGO. FC5 ran fine, 45-70 fps (ultra) with drops to 25-30 when the cpu usage hit 100, I thought it was expected until I tried the other games I used to play before when I realized that the CPU performance is worse.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018
Did you reset the bios before switching cpus?
I did not while switching from CPU to APU, that's how I found out that the problem was my OC settings as the APU was displaying and after reset GPU started displaying. Therefore I did reset before switching from APU back to CPU, and once again when I tried slightly OCing and the display went blank.

D

Deleted member 14196

You have an old processor and you shouldn’t be overclocking anything with that system and your processors probably fried by now. The CPU is a huge bottleneck

Jun 19, 2018
I think I've figured it out. Resetting BIOS set the CPU multipliers to Auto, and therefore the CPU is actively being underclocked to achieve sub 70° temperature during gaming. I set the multipliers to their respective static values, the CPU overheated during benchmark. So I think I will have to reapply the thermal paste. Also the Radeon Settings: Host Application uses a lot of CPU.