CPU pin bending

skyepunzal23

Commendable
Nov 25, 2017
Hello I am building my first cpu and all my friends and people from youtube are telling me that bending the cpu pins affects it. I am wondering how it affects it.

Solution
as a first time builder pick u pa good small led flashlight. there are two times that mb cpu pins can be bent. one is when the motherboard vendor put on the black cpu pin cover. if it goes on wrong or the motherboard is shipped badly when you pull that cover off to check for pins you may find some or a lot. the next place is user error. on older intel cpu you could put them in wrong. today there better keyed. most times pins are bent from dropping the cpu onto the mb. using led flashlight before you install the cpu look for any bent pins from shipping. if you find some take a photo of the damage and rma the mb back.
I accidentally bent a pin on an Intel motherboard socket once. The pin was not contacting the LGA pin of the CPU. Turns out that particular "pin" was used for PCIe communication (my video card), and when I booted it, I didn't get any video from the graphics card. Some pins may just be a ground connection. If I was extremely lucky, I'd have bent one of those.

So how does it affect it? It affects it badly. Don't bend the CPU or motherboard pins.

as a first time builder pick u pa good small led flashlight. there are two times that mb cpu pins can be bent. one is when the motherboard vendor put on the black cpu pin cover. if it goes on wrong or the motherboard is shipped badly when you pull that cover off to check for pins you may find some or a lot. the next place is user error. on older intel cpu you could put them in wrong. today there better keyed. most times pins are bent from dropping the cpu onto the mb. using led flashlight before you install the cpu look for any bent pins from shipping. if you find some take a photo of the damage and rma the mb back.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Obviously, you can't know unless you were to take it out.
Do you have reason to think some pins might be bent?

But there are almost certainly no bent pins.
Is this AMD or Intel?

TRENDING THREADS