CPU potentially lost cores?

skylark123

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
Could someone please elaborate? I recently bought a i5 6600k managed to OC it to 4,3 with no problems, every single game ran silky smooth.. It still kinda does, (Also unparked my 4 cores because I'm a CS gamer, more fps, happy face) everything worked fine.. Then one day when I had to reinstall windows because I had a corrupt version, I did the exact same thing as usual and when everything was set to go I tried unparking my cores once more. My CPU-Z/msconfig (Boot advanced options) still says I have 4 cores, but the program I'm using to unpark the cores only says I have 3? the games feels fine, just not what it used to when I just bought it (1 month ago)

BIOS is updated, everything is up to date.. So my question is: Is it possible that my CPU has lost a core? I never adjusted the vcore, I kept everything on my MSI motherboard on "Auto" and just buffed the Clock speed to 43 from 35.. Slight possibility that I've fried one of my cores or something? Everything in my comp is up to date/decent parts, also rumor has it that if you keep ur vcore under 1.300+ It should be fine? Mine is running at 1,1-1,2 ish on load.. One thing to note is that I havent tried forcing every single core when booting up the system, should I give it a shot? I've heard that It can damage ur cpu/comp even more!
¨
Screenshots of everything: http://imgur.com/a/fZXK2

lodders

Admirable
Download and run Hyper-Pi. It is a benchmarking / stress test program which allows you to check the performance of all your cores. I always see some variation between cores because they are also running various background tasks, but generally on my PC all four cores can do 1 million places of Pi in roughly 10 seconds.

skylark123

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

skylark123

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

That's what I figured as well, but some games just feels not as smooth :s And yeah when I try detect cores it detects 3 of em, it used to show all 4.. But thanks for clarifying my concerns :)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

One is always going to be running its the other 3 you can unpark and keep ready to go. Unless you put the whole system to sleep.

skylark123

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

Ah, just weird to me that I used to have 4 options on the unpark app, but now I've only got 3..