Question CPU power cable help.

marcovstaden6

Honorable
Apr 5, 2018
I have a gigabyte A320M-S2H motherboard with a 8 pin CPU power connector and my current power supply only has a 4 pin so I am wondering if my ryzen 5 1600x cpu wil have enough power?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What PSU do you have?

If your PSU only has a 4pin, it's extremely dated at this point. You can theoretically only populate the leftmost 4pins of an 8pin header and (in a lot of cases) have things just 'work', but when your PSU does not have the appropriate connectors for your hardware, that's a good sign you need a new PSU.

marcovstaden6

Honorable
Apr 5, 2018
What PSU do you have?

If your PSU only has a 4pin, it's extremely dated at this point. You can theoretically only populate the leftmost 4pins of an 8pin header and (in a lot of cases) have things just 'work', but when your PSU does not have the appropriate connectors for your hardware, that's a good sign you need a new PSU.

I have a thermaltake litepower 450 watt psu

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I have a thermaltake litepower 450 watt psu

While the litepower units are not great, it does have a 4+4pin EPS connector:
pic2_450_230V.jpg

https://www.thermaltake.com/litepower-450w.html

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
As stated above, you can populate just the 4 pins and it should work fine, but it might also not work.
Realistically, it's a dated PSU, and one that isn't really made for purpose for the MB, that and the Litepower series are a pretty poor standard of PSUs.
IMO, I would upgrade your PSU anyway, with one that does suit the requirements and is good quality.