Question CPU power supply for MSI B450 Tomahawk Max

daviddunford

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I've just tried a new build of a Ryzen 3700X on an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and have come across what appears to be a common problem of getting no video output. I'm in the course of trying various solutions proposed on different forums (having done the obvious things like checking alternative graphics cards). But I wonder if the problem is that the CPU power supply is an 8 pin one and though my power supply (Corsair CX600) also has 4 + 4 connectors, only one module fits the mobo sockets, so I'm trying to run it on just 4 pins. If that is an issue, can I get a cable adapter?

1. Corsair CX600 is not recommended to be used in 2020 since they are not very reliable
  2. You must not be putting both of the 4 pins together correctly. Make sure you are putting them side by side. Can you show a picture of the way you are plugging it in?
  3. Do you have a graphics card? If so, make sure your monitor is plugged into the GPU.

daviddunford

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I've sorted out the power cable issue; by fitting the two 4+4 modules together I've got them both to fit. But I still have the common no video issue. I've tried clearing CMOS, flashing the BIOS (7C02v39) and moving the memory modules around. All the debug LEDs usually light up apart from the memory one (though sometimes the CPU doesn't but the RAM does!) Key rig details:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (new)
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max (new)
2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM 3200 (new)
nVidia Gforce GTX560ti
Corsair CX600M PSU I've taken on board the suggestion that I might need better PSU - thanks.
Any suggestions before I take it to my local workshop which reopens tomorrow?

daviddunford

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
  1. Corsair CX600 is not recommended to be used in 2020 since they are not very reliable
  2. You must not be putting both of the 4 pins together correctly. Make sure you are putting them side by side. Can you show a picture of the way you are plugging it in?
  3. Do you have a graphics card? If so, make sure your monitor is plugged into the GPU.
Thanks for this advice. I've sorted the power supply cable; it fitted fine in daylight! I'll also bear in mind the possible need for a new PSU. Yes, I am using a discrete graphics card, and that is powered and connected.

daviddunford

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Someone on another forum has suggested that my graphics card might simply be too old to work with the rest of the rig. If so, would a GT 1030 or RX 550 be suitable? I don't need much in the way of gaming performance, just something I can use for photo and video editing. Any thoughts?