Oct 9, 2015
My pc has started randomly switching off the cause of which I found the other day. My cpu power isn’t fully inserted into the 8pin connection and refuses to go all the way in.

Any suggestions or should I just buy a new PSU?

USAFRet

Titan
My pc has started randomly switching off the cause of which I found the other day. My cpu power isn’t fully inserted into the 8pin connection and refuses to go all the way in.

Any suggestions or should I just buy a new PSU?
You need to power off RIGHT NOW and fix that.
Do not turn it on again until that plug is fully inserted.

Oct 9, 2015
How do I identify 12v or 8 pin.
I’ve been running my pc for a few days now with this issue, from your reaction that probably wasn’t the best move. I’ve had this pc for around 1 year now with this psu. Unless I’ve knocked it recently I’m not sure why it isn’t going in. I can’t really access it as my cooler is in the way. Should I try removing it and apply additional force?

Unless you have a high powered processor that is overclocked, or have multiple graphics cards, an extra eps connector may not be required at all.

Look at the pin arrangements in the socket and on the plug.
There will be an arrangement of square and partially rounded holes that should match up.
Do not try to force anything.
Orient the cable so that the latch on the cable is on the same side as the notch on the socket.

What is the make/model of your psu?
What is the make/model of your motherboard?
What is your cooler? Yes, it may be a pain to remove and remount.

Do you see a unused psu cable labelled 12v eps? Unless your psu has 2 such cables, you may be using an incompatible cable.

If the cable you used is of the 6+2 variety, it is undoubtedly a pcie cable, not an eps cable.

Oct 9, 2015
I have a Aerocool 700w psu
Motherboard is a Z97 Msi gaming 5 with an i7 4790k
My cooler is an H80i v2
I only have a single Gtx 1070

I’ve matches up the socketing fittings and oriented it correct but it still refuses to go completely in. It fits and goes half way but doesn’t fit securely and loosely sits there.

I couldn’t see any other connections with the 12v label. The connection I’m using is a 4 4 split.