CPU preforming way below expectations

Tuggo

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
My computer has been randomly restarting while I play games from time to time, so I decided to benchmark it to see if maybe a part was on the fritz. While I'm pretty sure it didn't reveal anything it did show that my CPU is preforming extremely poorly. Is there a reason for this, and if so, how can I fix it? Thanks. As a side, when I had my old setup, it ran very hot and reached temps of around 80*C quite often, would this be one of the reasons for either it's poor performance or my random restarts?

Edit: Sorry, forgot the link. http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4502165

Solution
hard reboots/restarts...

First, boot from a Linux MInt17.3 Live CD, choose Memtest86 and see if that passes for an hour..

Even if it does, I'd try running a single stick of RAM in required slot, and look for repeats. If they occur, use the other RAM stick... (Removed power from PSU fully before tinkering with changing/inserting RAM sticks...)

Assuming no misplaced standoffs or shorted USB headers, and no thermal readings shouting for attention,.... a known good PSU of sufficient wattage is often an essential first stab at such symptoms...
I got partially confused at the part where an old system was restarting, but, feel for sure it is unrelated to a new system's restarts, ....unless, of course, a hypothetical marginal PSU was moved from the old rig the new one. Then it could be easily equally 'restart-plagued'..

Tuggo

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

Let me clarify. The new computer uses some parts of the old one, like the CPU and the motherboard, but it never actually restarted. Instead it would bluescreen. This new one does not bluescreen but it restarts.

hard reboots/restarts...

First, boot from a Linux MInt17.3 Live CD, choose Memtest86 and see if that passes for an hour..

Even if it does, I'd try running a single stick of RAM in required slot, and look for repeats. If they occur, use the other RAM stick... (Removed power from PSU fully before tinkering with changing/inserting RAM sticks...)

Assuming no misplaced standoffs or shorted USB headers, and no thermal readings shouting for attention,.... a known good PSU of sufficient wattage is often an essential first stab at such symptoms...

Solution