• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question CPU prevents motherboard to power on ?

Nov 1, 2019
Hi,

I recently bought the following components:
  • MB: Gigabyte Aorus B450
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
+ RAM/PSU/Case

In short, when I try to power on with the case, or by shorting the power on the MB, nothing happens (no sound, no fan, no light).
The only reaction I see is when I power the PSU, I see a flash/blink ash of light from the MB's logos.
I tried to swap:
  • The case, for another one => no result
  • Another motherboard, a second Aorus B450 => no result
  • RAM => no result
  • PSU => no result
Now, I wonder if it is possible for the CPU, to prevent everything else to work (like he is dead on arrival) ?

PC Tailor

Distinguished
Herald
Welcome to the forums my friend!

As a first port of call I would cover each and every one of these steps: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/perform-these-steps-before-posting-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/ (even if you have done them before) and pay close attention to inspectin the CPU for bent/damaged pins, or contamination.

I see a flash/blink ash of light from the MB's logos.
Does the MB Power LED stay lit up when the PSU is plugged in and on? Or do you literally get a flash and then all lights go off again?
Have you tried different outlets too? Are you using a UPS or extension?

Nov 1, 2019
Hi, and thank you for the answer.

I covered the steps from your link (without the steps relating to graphic card).
About the MB Power LED, when I power the PSU, it is just a flash and then, it goes off again. I thought it is the normal behavior, as I bought a second one and it gave the same result.

I did not find any damaged/bent pins, however I might have installed the CPU the wrong way the first time (the arrow was not lined up). Then, I lined up correctly after, but still, is it possible for the CPU to be damaged because of that ? And can a damaged CPU completely prevent the whole thing to start ?

PC Tailor

Distinguished
Herald
is it possible for the CPU to be damaged because of that ?
Yes if it has damaged the array on the CPU or the socket.

And can a damaged CPU completely prevent the whole thing to start ?
Absolutely 100%. A single pin out of alignment can prevent booting.

It's just the LED behaviour you describe If I am interpreting it correctly seems more odd, the MB should have 1 LED that illuminates when the PSU is plugged in and switched on at the wall, which is indicating that the PSU is giving power to the MB.

Nov 1, 2019
It's just the LED behaviour you describe If I am interpreting it correctly seems more odd, the MB should have 1 LED that illuminates when the PSU is plugged in and switched on at the wall, which is indicating that the PSU is giving power to the MB.
Yes, both MB I tested blink when the PSU is switched on, so I think the odd are low that both MB are dead.

I will buy another CPU to see if it will solve the issue. Thank you for your answer again.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS