CPU Price Watch: Intel Coffee Lake, AMD Ryzen

Status
Not open for further replies.

misousa

Reputable
Aug 9, 2014
I dont. Its these guys who support AMD. I pitty AMD because for most cases its way better to buy a 6 core i5 8600k for 257$ than a Ryzen 1700 for 330$. And the i5 has more overclocking potencial. I really wanted AMD to win this round I was even willing to loose perfomance just to support AMD but with this price diference its impossible for me to pay a lot more for less perfomance. We really need competion. Thanks AMD for trying and keep doing it.

dladouceurd

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Whats up with the 800 and 1000$ ryzen 5

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 w/Wraith Stealth ($164.99 On Newegg)
$800
12/24 @ 3.5GHz
Read The Review
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 w/Wraith Stealth ($164.99 On Newegg)
$1000

alextheblue

Distinguished
I normally ignore minor price discrepancies because I know they fluctuate but that Ryzen 1700 price is out of whack. It can be had "on sale" right now on Newegg, Amazon, et al for $295 (WITH Spire LED cooler), but even IF it goes off sale it still won't reach $344. Most likely the Ryzen price cuts will largely be made permanent. I don't think this is unusual or unexpected in this industry. Something new comes along, prices adjust.

Well first, the 1700 is not $330 anymore, see above. Second, if someone is looking at the 8600K, and they were planning on doing heavy multitasking/streaming/otherwise need more threads, Ryzen 7 is still a potential competitor, as is a locked i7 8700 (both can be used effectively with a cheaper mainboard to bring price fairly close).

Otherwise, if you're not using your system for heavily threaded workloads: I could argue "for most cases" you'd REALLY be better off with a locked i5/i3 or a Ryzen 5/3 - stick the extra money into graphics. Again, you save on the board too whether you go Intel or AMD. The unlocked Intel chips are really darned expensive, and you pay the overclocking tax again with the Z board. Hmm... I think I'm gonna start calling it the "K & Z Fee".

mntrapper

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
IF you happen to be close enough to one, Micro Center has the Ryzen 1800X for $349.99 (In store only). Now I just need to decide what LCS to use with it.

If you are able to find either at those prices or below the prices listed above, please post a long.

Interesting. This is probably worth mentioning, but may not be available for everyone. It uses Google Express for the order and promo code. Although the item is ordered from Fry's, Google Express is acting as an intermediary, and it offers the discount only on one item per user. So if someone has used it before, it would be unable to use it here. With it that is a better price, but without it the price is the same as Amazon.

Krazie_Ivan

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012
title should be "Covfefe Lake Availability Watch" ...to reflect the fake paper-launch of a product that won't exist (or at the very least, be purchasable at MSRP) until production can ramp up 3-4mo from now. but hey!---if Intel hasn't even really begun to mfg K-chips on a decent scale yet, then maybe we can convince them to solder the effing thing so it's doesn't burn our houses down!?!

Far as I see it the only direct competition is between the locked i5 8400 & the ryzen 1600 (non x)

Within $10 in USA , same price in UK/Europe.
Both come with coolers , the fact the ryzen is slightly more expensive is heavily counteracted by the fact a decent b350 board is some $30-50 less than the cheapest z370

garytzzz

Prominent
Oct 7, 2017
Most of the AMD prices are bogus. They were the original launch pricing, You can get an 1700X for $295.

The 8400 pricepoint is just a straight killer .

Intel have absolutely gone for the jugular with that one , its the CPU that's going to steal sales back big time from amd.

I'm a big amd supporter but you're not going to see a thread from me with suggestions to go for the ryzen 1600 now unless the use really dictates it as a viable option .

For anyone straight gaming on a $300 budget for CPU & board there's nothing to touch that.

Intel's best ever priced CPU along with the g4560 when it first released.

Just remember if you buy one to whisper a 'thank you' to amd on your way out of the store - simply because if it weren't for the success of the ryzen 5's you would absolutely 100% not be getting that CPU at that price

alextheblue

Distinguished

The 8400 is definitely priced aggressively, and honestly it will steal the spotlight away from other Intel models too. Especially for sub-$800 builds. For example the 8350K is unlocked but by the time you get an appropriate board, you're spending the same if not a little more money. Sure you can overclock, but the 8400 has 50% more cores, a lower TDP, and respectable turbo clocks. Unless you're only running lightly threaded software, I don't think it's worth it. Meanwhile further up the ladder you've got the 8600K... but I don't believe it makes a lot of sense to spend that kind of money for an unlocked i5 and a Z board unless you've already budgeted for a very high-end graphics card. At these prices the 8400 is definitely a value standout in this new stack.

There are still some situations where a 1600 is viable, but they should definitely drop the price. There's no K & Z fee, but it's still a bit high by comparison.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
The 8400 pricepoint is just a straight killer .

Intel have absolutely gone for the jugular with that one , its the CPU that's going to steal sales back big time from amd.

I'm a big amd supporter but you're not going to see a thread from me with suggestions to go for the ryzen 1600 now unless the use really dictates it as a viable option .

For anyone straight gaming on a $300 budget for CPU & board there's nothing to touch that.

Intel's best ever priced CPU along with the g4560 when it first released.

Just remember if you buy one to whisper a 'thank you' to amd on your way out of the store - simply because if it weren't for the success of the ryzen 5's you would absolutely 100% not be getting that CPU at that price

Except that there won't be B or H series motherboards at launch. So that $300 mobo+CPU combo moves up to $350. It's not a big change, but it's significa20247990,0,1031363nt.

@madmatt30 - Unless you already had DDR4 memory you are going to be coughing up more than that.

AMD platforms and Intel platforms both use DDR4 memory now. So it's fair to compare prices on mobo+CPU cost.

almostdecent

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2005
No, it is fair to compare prices with mobo+CPU+memory. The point is that many upgrading cannot get around the need for DDR4 memory, which will be a part of their minimum cost. That means there won't be a $300 upgrade or a $350 upgrade, it will be $450-500.

^ yes but no matter which way you went you're going to used essentially the same or similar ram for either.
Both benefit from speeds of 2666 or above immensely so there's no need to use it in a comparison.

An 8400 build will cost you $30-40 more than a ryzen 1600 build full stop.

johnukguy

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Why are your prices so inaccurate in nearly every article? The Ryzen 5 1600 for example is now available for $170.

@johnukguy

Unfortunately mate all the review sites are pretty much doing the same

For some reason they're pitting the 8400 against
the ryzen 1500x & the 8700k against the 1700x 1800x (I kind of can't argue that one though on prices simply because the x's are overpriced & a fools buy anyway)

Back on planet earth in the real world where the prices are current , the locked i5 8400 is the same price as the ryzen 1600 & the i5 8600k is the same price as the ryzen 1700 (slightly more with a decent cooler).

& yeah , they kill it for straight gaming absolutely no doubt about it.
The ryzens still win on heavily multi threaded productivity though, the 1600 only slightly , the 1700 by a big big margin

Status
Not open for further replies.