Question CPU probably bottlenecking but why?

Oct 12, 2019
Hi!

So I noticed that my CPU was running at 30-35% in PUBG the first day I built this PC. After some really light research, I concluded that it was normal. But I'm back at it again.. and this time I'm pretty sure there is a bottleneck. My GPU is running at 70% max and is hovering around 40-50% usage and the CPU is at 30-35% usage. So there must be something wrong right? All the temps are good.

I want maximum FPS so I'm playing in 1080p, all settings in very low. My friend has a "cheaper" build (RTX 2060 and I5 - 9600k) and runs more FPS in average. The only difference we saw was in CPU usage. He's using evenly all his threads but my CPU has one thread at 98-100%, one or two around 40% and the rest are really low. Again all the temps are good 70C max in game. GPU is at a steady 50C.

The problem linked to this one is that sometimes my GPU drops under 38% usage and it triggers the downclocking system so I have either a freeze or a huge FPS drop for half a sec. I know I could bump up the graphical settings but it doesn't really solve the first issue. Again, I like having the most FPS possible and usually bumping up graphical settings isn't good x)

Any help is welcomed! Oh and please, for the love of Knowledge, if I question your answer, don't get mad, I'm here to learn. By the way English isn't my mother tongue.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What are your full system specs?

Dropping to "low" settings doesn't always scale. For example, if you dropped to 480p/v.low, you're not going to see 10000FPS, your system just won't work as hard.

Also consider the CPUs you're comparing - if a 9600K is maxing out at 75% across 6 cores, that same level of demand would be reflected as* 100% on a Quad Core and ~33.33% of a 6core/12thread CPU.

*An over simplification, but serves the point.

To troubleshoot, try turning UP your in-game settings. Try Ultra. Does your CPU &/or GPU max out at 100% utilization at that point?

EDIT Actually, saw your CPU-Z in sig. 8700K + 2070. That is strange that your friends 2060 can net higher average FPS.... I'm assuming you're 100% sure you two are running the exact same in-game settings?

Reactions: RodroX
Oct 12, 2019
To troubleshoot, try turning UP your in-game settings. Try Ultra. Does your CPU &/or GPU max out at 100% utilization at that point?

Thank you for the fast answer! So I did try in Ultra and GPU goes up to the 85% average and CPU didn't move a bit. And I lost 30 FPS average.

EDIT: View: https://imgur.com/a/GA4BGQ7

EDIT Actually, saw your CPU-Z in sig. 8700K + 2070. That is strange that your friends 2060 can net higher average FPS.... I'm assuming you're 100% sure you two are running the exact same in-game settings?

I'm positive he's running the same in-game settings.

Last edited:
Is you power plan at least in Balanced Mode? (Make sure not in economy)

Let's make sure the CPU is clocking normally...

Install/run HWMonitor...; if in Balanced Mode, and nothing stressful currently running, the assorted core clock speeds will bounce around from as low as 800 MHz to as high as 4.7 GHz on a single core, or, if no MCE mode enabled, as high as 4.3 or 4.5 GHz on all cores if a heavy multi-threaded workload is induced. (I've seen no need to stray out of Balanced mode, personally, as my system goes to as low as 800 MHz under no load, to 1200-2000 MHz reading forums, to 4700 MHz on one or all cores under load. (MCE enabled, max clock speeds adjusted upwards from 4500 to 4700 MHz within XTU application)

Then run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, and note what clock speeds/temps are shown after 10 minutes...; if your clocks hit.maintain 4.3 - 4.4 GHz at about 60-65C, then the mainboard/CPU would appear to be behaving/ ramping up and down speeds normally.

Just to double check your configuration, is your RAM configured in dual channel, slots 2 and 4 populated if running 2 sticks?

Edit: Additionally, was this Windows installation originally done with this mainboard, CPU, and GPU, or was anything swapped/upgraded along the way? (Leaving a higher chance for misconfigured/ incorrect /residual drivers)

Oct 12, 2019
Is you power plan at least in Balanced Mode? (Make sure not in economy)

Let's make sure the CPU is clocking normally...

Install/run HWMonitor...; if in Balanced Mode, and nothing stressful currently running, the assorted core clock speeds will bounce around from as low as 800 MHz to as high as 4.7 GHz on a single core, or, if no MCE mode enabled, as high as 4.3 or 4.5 GHz on all cores if a heavy multi-threaded workload is induced. (I've seen no need to stray out of Balanced mode, personally, as my system goes to as low as 800 MHz under no load, to 1200-2000 MHz reading forums, to 4700 MHz on one or all cores under load. (MCE enabled, max clock speeds adjusted upwards from 4500 to 4700 MHz within XTU application)

Then run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU, and note what clock speeds/temps are shown after 10 minutes...; if your clocks hit.maintain 4.3 - 4.4 GHz at about 60-65C, then the mainboard/CPU would appear to be behaving/ ramping up and down speeds normally.

Just to double check your configuration, is your RAM configured in dual channel, slots 2 and 4 populated if running 2 sticks?

Edit: Additionally, was this Windows installation originally done with this mainboard, CPU, and GPU, or was anything swapped/upgraded along the way? (Leaving a higher chance for misconfigured/ incorrect /residual drivers)

Power plan was in performance mode, I switched it to balanced for the test. I cleared min/max after starting the test to see more clearly the eventual drops. And I checked the RAM, all clear!

View: https://imgur.com/a/DmC7kBL

I believe youre OCing your CPU to 5 GHz right (looking at your signature) right?

And you also have an RTX 2070

PUBG shoulnd't be very demanding considering the hardware you own, so yes, you shoulnd't have worst FPS unless, you changed something on the gamesetting file, or youre limiting your FPS in-game with something like vsync.

What is the actual FPS diference in numbers that you talk about?

PUBG wont make your CPU bottleneck, in fact you wrote it in your original post, 1 core at 100%, 2 cores at ~40% and the rest really low. As for your GPU been at only 70% is probably cause its an overkill GPU for playing that game at only 1080p.

Have you updated any software in the past weeks? maybe some new drivers, anything that could have triggered this behavior?

Last thing, Do you both have the same exact monitor?, cause yours is capable of 144Hz, Do you have G-Sync on or off ?

TRENDING THREADS