CPU problem but DRAM_LED is solid red on ASUS B85

danielo89

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Hello.
I tested some old components earlier today but I couldn´t even get to post screen (nothing on the display at all). All of the components worked last time I used them so I wondered what had happened.
The mobo is Asus B85-pro gaming, i5-4690k cpu and 2x8gb c.vengeance DDR3 ram.
The system starts up and keeps running, but as mentioned, nothing on the screen. The DRAM_LED is solid red which should indicate some problems with ram. But I tested the rams in another computer and they worked well (I also tested switching the rams around and using only one, but that didn´t help on my pc).
So when I investigate the cpu and socket I find there is some cooling paste on the socket pins and also a bent and almost loose pin. I try to remove the paste with alcohol and a brush, and bend the pin back, but without any luck - the screen still shows nothing. So my best guess is that this broken pin is the problem. Yet I wonder why the DRAM_LED is lighting up and not the CPU_LED. Might CPU problems manifest as DRAM_LED also? Might it be because the damaged pin is within the DRAM-section of the socket?
I would need to test the cpu on another mobo to be completely sure it´s the pin that is the problem and not the cpu, so I know which component to throw away and which to keep. Maybe the CPU has also taken damage from the spilled cooling paste and rough handling(?).

Anyway, what do You smart guys think about this situation and why only the DRAM_LED is red?
Thanks for any advice.

edit: According to the pin layout chart I think it is the BLCK#-pin that is broken...so that is probably bad news right?
http://www.abload.de/img/pins_sandyamb4.png

Solution
Was just making sure as it wasn't initially clear from the post of these were spare parts you stuck together or an old acutal build.

The memory controller is on the CPU. So certainly if the bent pin is one of the memory related pins it could manifest as a memory issue not a CPU one. If you've tested the ram elsewhere that pretty much leaves CPU, board socket, ram sockets as possible issues.

danielo89

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
Did you ever have that CPU in that motherboard previously? If not that board **may** not natively support a devil's canyon chips without a bios upgrade using a haswell chip

Yes, all those components has worked perfectly together before for a long time.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Was just making sure as it wasn't initially clear from the post of these were spare parts you stuck together or an old acutal build.

The memory controller is on the CPU. So certainly if the bent pin is one of the memory related pins it could manifest as a memory issue not a CPU one. If you've tested the ram elsewhere that pretty much leaves CPU, board socket, ram sockets as possible issues.

Solution

danielo89

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

Yes, but considering the broken pin the board socket is the most likely option of the 3, don´t you think.
And besides I don´t see how the CPU or ram sockets should have been damaged all of a sudden. Hopefully the CPU is still working even though the pin has been broken. Because a broken socket can´t ruin a CPU right?