[SOLVED] CPU Problem

russelbrown

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
I pulled out a CPU from an old Branded System Unit that is already assembled from the manufacturer. The cpu itself is i5-6400 and I bought a H110M PRO-D and H110 PRO-VD PLUS. Before I pulled out the CPU, the system itself is still working and I just want to add another ram because the other ram slot of the old motherboard is not working.

So tried the i5-6400 with H110M PRO-D and H110 PRO-VD PLUS both of them are not working. There is no display in PRO-VD PLUS but in PRO-D it just keep on restarting...

Does anyone of you knows what's wrong with it? As far as I know 6th gen cpu's are compatible with H110 series motherboards.
I'm suspecting the BIOS of the motherboard. Do I have to downgrade it?

Thanks for your help.

Solution
6th gen is default supported by BIOS. So I'm not sure something wrong with the BIOS of that both Mboard. How about make sure the CPU pin connected and RAM installed properly?
Actually, H110s need a BIOS update to run gen 7 intels. Maybe that BIOS doesn't support gen 6s? And the motherboard manufacturer updated it by default(like B450 motherboards, except that BIOS is backwards compatible). That's my current theory, assuming the golden triangle is in the correct corner and the RAM is in right, etc..
I pulled out a CPU from an old Branded System Unit that is already assembled from the manufacturer. The cpu itself is i5-6400 and I bought a H110M PRO-D and H110 PRO-VD PLUS. Before I pulled out the CPU, the system itself is still working and I just want to add another ram because the other ram slot of the old motherboard is not working.

So tried the i5-6400 with H110M PRO-D and H110 PRO-VD PLUS both of them are not working. There is no display in PRO-VD PLUS but in PRO-D it just keep on restarting...

Does anyone of you knows what's wrong with it? As far as I know 6th gen cpu's are compatible with H110 series motherboards.
I'm suspecting the BIOS of the motherboard. Do I have to downgrade it?

Thanks for your help.
6th gen is default supported by BIOS. So I'm not sure something wrong with the BIOS of that both Mboard. How about make sure the CPU pin connected and RAM installed properly?

dchen2105

Proper
Aug 11, 2020
Actually, H110s need a BIOS update to run gen 7 intels. Maybe that BIOS doesn't support gen 6s? And the motherboard manufacturer updated it by default(like B450 motherboards, except that BIOS is backwards compatible). That's my current theory, assuming the golden triangle is in the correct corner and the RAM is in right, etc..

Solution

russelbrown

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019

The rest of the components are working except CPU and MOBO. Yeah, I'll try to change the version of BIOS.

Reactions: dchen2105