[SOLVED] Cpu problems

Jul 26, 2021
Hey there,

I've been trying to find a place where I could ask some questions about my cpu, so please redirect me if I'm still asking this question in the wrong place.
However I have had a i5 7600K for some time now and decided to try out cold war, since it should be able to handle it. But when I tried it out it couldn't, now this isn't that big of a deal I could just save up to buy a new cpu but recently it has started struggling with games I used to be able to run with ease, for example genshin impact and osu, now when I play those games it goes up t 100% almost instantly, does anyone have any things that I could try to possibly fix it? Apart from the "close as many applications" since my game will just take up >80% then.

Solution
Hey there,

I've been trying to find a place where I could ask some questions about my cpu, so please redirect me if I'm still asking this question in the wrong place.
However I have had a i5 7600K for some time now and decided to try out cold war, since it should be able to handle it. But when I tried it out it couldn't, now this isn't that big of a deal I could just save up to buy a new cpu but recently it has started struggling with games I used to be able to run with ease, for example genshin impact and osu, now when I play those games it goes up t 100% almost instantly, does anyone have any things that I could try to possibly fix it? Apart from the "close as many applications" since my game will just take up >80% then.
Hey there,

Well if the cpu could handle the game and now can't then something must have changed... there are a couple of things that might be the cause. Firstly have the games been updated? It's possible an update could make the game more difficult to run.

Also have you changed any other hardware (for example upgraded your graphics card)? A faster graphics card will put more strain on the cpu which will cause higher utilization.

The other thing that could be the cause is if the cpu is running hot - modern cpus reduce clocks as they heat up to prevent damage. Over time the cooling fan can get clogged up with dust, and the thermal grease between the heatsink base and top of the cpu tends to dry out which can result in higher thermals - which will slow the cpu down. You can check what your cpu temps are doing whilst gaming using a free tool like Hwmonitor (link: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html). If your cpu temps get above about 80c it will start to throttle. If this is a problem, replacing the thermal compound and giving the cooling assembly a good clean should fix the issue.

Solution
Jul 26, 2021
Well if the cpu could handle the game and now can't then something must have changed... there are a couple of things that might be the cause. Firstly have the games been updated? It's possible an update could make the game more difficult to run.

Also have you changed any other hardware (for example upgraded your graphics card)? A faster graphics card will put more strain on the cpu which will cause higher utilization.

The other thing that could be the cause is if the cpu is running hot - modern cpus reduce clocks as they heat up to prevent damage. Over time the cooling fan can get clogged up with dust, and the thermal grease between the heatsink base and top of the cpu tends to dry out which can result in higher thermals - which will slow the cpu down. You can check what your cpu temps are doing whilst gaming using a free tool like Hwmonitor (link: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html). If your cpu temps get above about 80c it will start to throttle. If this is a problem, replacing the thermal compound and giving the cooling assembly a good clean should fix the issue.

I checked the things that you noted and I think I found the issue, I think that the graphics card might indeed be the problem here since I recently went from a 1060 3gb to a 2070 -> 3060 12gb, Temperature looks fine and I don't recall any updates at the games that I've been playing, Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me out with the problem

logainofhades

Titan
Yea with the 1060 3gb, your 7600k didn't really have to work that hard. Now that you are on a 3060, the issue would be more apparent, especially in titles wanting more than the 4c/4t that your CPU can provide. A CPU upgrade is needed at this point. The best you can do with your board is a 7700k, and that would be a total waste of money.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($184.01 @ Adorama)
Motherboard: ASRock B560 Pro4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($122.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $307.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-07-26 09:30 EDT-0400