[SOLVED] CPU PSU Cord not long anuff 6pin - CPU fan replacement

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
My Computer parts: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9bWDn7
Photos:
View: View: https://imgur.com/a/v783NtA

CPU Power cord not long anuff
The CPU Power cord from power supply would not go around the back of the case since it was too small its a 6pin
Anyone know any extender power cpu cord or a longer one that i can plug into my power supply into the motherboard.
It has to go over the GPU and MB

CPU fan replacement
I had alot of trouble getting the cpu fan onto the motherboard it was really hard to get on since im new to pc building and i dont know how hard or how soft you have to put it on soo alot of stress now the troubling part is to get it off once i get a new cpu cooler since i know its not gonna be good for the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU since its most likely gonna get hot with the stock cooler on it. and i heard people have taken the cpu off with the fan aswel soo its abit stressful since all this is REALLY expensive since if i broke something i would most likely have to get a replacement and probably take a year or 2 to replace if i did break something

My PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
MB: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
CASE: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M ATX Mid Tower Case
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
I have to say I'm completely confused by the whole description of events and the images don't really clear anything up; I just see wayward cables all over the place.

CMH.png

The CPU cable is 25 inches, and there's plenty of room to move it up from the shroud, up through the grommet. and into the ports for the CPUs, which are in a typical spot in this motherboard, nor is this case unusually large. There's certainly plenty of room behind the motherboard in this for cables, so I'm not sure how it's "too small." Having to move the CPU out and over the GPU and then back again to the port is a very odd, longer path.

Also confused to how you're actually connecting your cables. There's no 8+4 pin...
6 pin is for graphics card power, not cpu power. Youre looking for an 8 pin cable (2x4 pin connectors but linked together).

For removing the cooler, just pull it out as straight an as carefully as possible. I've seen people recommend twisting it before pulling, but that increases the chance of getting bent pins.

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
6 pin is for graphics card power, not cpu power. Youre looking for an 8 pin cable (2x4 pin connectors but linked together).

For removing the cooler, just pull it out as straight an as carefully as possible. I've seen people recommend twisting it before pulling, but that increases the chance of getting bent pins.
Sorry i ment its a 8pin and theres 4 bits left is that normal.. plus im looking for like a extender cable to make the cord longer or just buy a longer cord to plug into my power supply to my mb because its kinda annoying having that over my motherboard/gpu

Last edited:
Sorry i ment its a 8pin and theres 4 bits left is that normal.. plus im looking for like a extender cable to make the cord longer or just buy a longer cord to plug into my power supply to my mb because its kinda annoying having that over my motherboard/gpu
Not sure about individual cables, but you can get braided extension kits with 24 pin, 2x6+2 pin pcie, and 2x4pin eps for 25-30 dollars on amazon.

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
https://www.moddiy.com/search.php?search_query=8pin+extension

I wouldn't touch the stuff on ebay/amazon as there's too many shady sellers and fakes out there.
Would this work with the cpu power cord from the psu

https://www.moddiy.com/products/modDIY-8pin-Molex-PSU-Extension-Cable-(18AWG).html

or would it just be better just to get this

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Premium-Sleeved-8Pin-to-8Pin-Extension-Cable.html

would it also matter if my power supply brand
and if u have any good cords i should use please tell me what would probably be the best option
and would that work with the cpu cable

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I have to say I'm completely confused by the whole description of events and the images don't really clear anything up; I just see wayward cables all over the place.

CMH.png

The CPU cable is 25 inches, and there's plenty of room to move it up from the shroud, up through the grommet. and into the ports for the CPUs, which are in a typical spot in this motherboard, nor is this case unusually large. There's certainly plenty of room behind the motherboard in this for cables, so I'm not sure how it's "too small." Having to move the CPU out and over the GPU and then back again to the port is a very odd, longer path.

Also confused to how you're actually connecting your cables. There's no 8+4 pin cable as you describe; the entirety of the first 4+4 CPU cable should be in the 8 pins in the CPU1 port and there should be 4 pins and 4 out using the other 4+4 pin connecter in the CPU2 port.

Last edited:
Solution

BeBlaze

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018

CMH.png

Also confused to how you're actually connecting your cables. There's no 8+4 pin cable as you describe; the entirety of the first 4+4 CPU cable should be in the 8 pins in the CPU1 port and there should be 4 pins and 4 out using the other 4+4 pin connecter in the CPU2 port.
The cable was not that long from what i was using, I just tried unpluging the cpu from power supply and it would not reach unless i rotated my power supply soo after i did that it actually just fitted.. not by much but yeah it worked Thank you for your help and thank you extreme dude.

also thank you for correting me im really new to this pc stuff this was my second pc build of my life and i really suck with cords with pc parts soo im still learning alot from this. Well anyway thank yous all!

Would this work with the cpu power cord from the psu

https://www.moddiy.com/products/modDIY-8pin-Molex-PSU-Extension-Cable-(18AWG).html

or would it just be better just to get this

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Premium-Sleeved-8Pin-to-8Pin-Extension-Cable.html

would it also matter if my power supply brand
and if u have any good cords i should use please tell me what would probably be the best option
and would that work with the cpu cable
Either of those can work, but the question is if you need only a 4-pin at the end or an 8-pin since they don't split into 2x 4-pins if needed.

Power supply brand shouldn't matter as these are universal.