[SOLVED] CPU Pump constant at 100%

Mar 6, 2021
Hi!

I got a Tomahawk x570 Wi-Fi motherboard paired with a Corsair Hydro H100x. The cooler is plugged in at PUMP_FAN.

It's constantly running at 100% well inside of Windows. Is this normal or have I done something wrong?

Makes the computer quite loud.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Solution
From the docs I found on the H100x model, there is NO way to connect that system to either a USB2 header for use with iCue, nor to any Corsair Commander or other hub. The system appears to have only three types of connections:
(a) a Pump power source that plugs into a SATA power output from the PSU.
(b) a 3-hole female standard fan connector that plugs into a mobo CPU_FAN or PUMP_FAN header and ONLY sends the pump speed signal back to that header. It does NOT allow control of the pump speed.
(c) Two rad fans that are supposed to be plugged into mobo fan headers. Ideally, these two should be connected to the CPU_FAN header using a Splitter. That way the FANS on the rad can have their speeds controlled by that CPU_FAN header which is...
you can adjust the pump speed in hardware monitor in the bios i dont think i cue will pick it up unless its plugged into a commander pro
Corsair's AIOs typically have a USB header they can plug into. Or at least mine did. I had full control over the unit with iCUE.

Also I don't think AIOs offer pump speed control over the motherboard. The thing you plug into a fan header is just to make the motherboard happy there's something there.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
From the docs I found on the H100x model, there is NO way to connect that system to either a USB2 header for use with iCue, nor to any Corsair Commander or other hub. The system appears to have only three types of connections:
(b) a 3-hole female standard fan connector that plugs into a mobo CPU_FAN or PUMP_FAN header and ONLY sends the pump speed signal back to that header. It does NOT allow control of the pump speed.
(c) Two rad fans that are supposed to be plugged into mobo fan headers. Ideally, these two should be connected to the CPU_FAN header using a Splitter. That way the FANS on the rad can have their speeds controlled by that CPU_FAN header which is guided by the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. (This arrangement means the pump speed wire should be going to the PUMP_FAN header, as OP says it is.)

There are other and older Corsair models with slightly different features and wiring. For example, I saw one older model with fan sockets on the side of the pump and instructions to plug the rad fans there, rather than to a mobo header. But what I just wrote applies to the Corsair Hydro Series H100x High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler.

OP, I expect that the pump you have is supposed to run full speed all the time. The 3-pin connection wire to that PUMP_FAN header is NOT to control its speed. It is only to send it speed signal there for monitoring in case of pump FAILURE, which would require actions to prevent CPU overheating. But such a pump normally is NOT noisy. Are you sure it is the pump that is causing the noise you find too much?

Reactions: Totte
Solution
Mar 6, 2021
(c) Two rad fans that are supposed to be plugged into mobo fan headers. Ideally, these two should be connected to the CPU_FAN header using a Splitter. That way the FANS on the rad can have their speeds controlled by that CPU_FAN header which is guided by the temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. (This arrangement means the pump speed wire should be going to the PUMP_FAN header, as OP says it is.)

There are other and older Corsair models with slightly different features and wiring. For example, I saw one older model with fan sockets on the side of the pump and instructions to plug the rad fans there, rather than to a mobo header. But what I just wrote applies to the Corsair Hydro Series H100x High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler.

OP, I expect that the pump you have is supposed to run full speed all the time. The 3-pin connection wire to that PUMP_FAN header is NOT to control its speed. It is only to send it speed signal there for monitoring in case of pump FAILURE, which would require actions to prevent CPU overheating. But such a pump normally is NOT noisy. Are you sure it is the pump that is causing the noise you find too much?

I'm pretty sure it's the two FAN's in the cooling system, yeah. Can't think of anything else as all the temps seems to be fine to me. It's the one at 4000+ RPM I'm suspecting to be noisy :p

2021-03-11-12-12-38.png

Mar 6, 2021
Noticed this tho. Not sure if it's normal temps for the GPU. Not so into this stuff, unless there's problem xD
Certainly hope it's not my GPU that's about giving up. Pretty bad timing for be looking for a new GPU :p

2021-03-11-12-25-48.png