CPU Question (8-Core)

iMammoth

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
Hello,
I'm considering a few different CPUs to upgrade to at the moment and am going to spend roughly $300-$350ish range.
The CPUs in question are the AMD FX-8350/8320/Intel i5-3570k/4670k.
I know it would be a bit cheaper to go with AMD but Intel is (from what I've read) a better CPU almost all around.

My primary task will be gaming on this rig and currently have an AMD Athlon ii X4 630 OC @ 3.5GHz. Seems to be bottlenecking pretty bad when playing demanding games such as Battlefield 3 (Online), Natural Selection 2, etc. Pretty much any game that requires a lot of CPU work.

Now, I have a question.
Do you think the FX-8350/8320 would be a better processor later (ex. a year or so from now)? My thought on this is that the new Xbox One, and PS4 are upon us and are both built with 8-Core processors.

I've heard a lot of talk about the new architecture being easier to port games to PC and what not. Do you think these games will utilize the 8-cores more efficiently than say the i5's Quad core??

Sorry this is a long read, but this has been bugging me!
Thanks!

Solution

lxxjordan23xxl

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Do I think games will play better with 8 cores compared to now? Yes. Are games actually going to "utilize" all 8 cores? No, because both consoles are built with multi-tasking in mind so all of the cores will not be engaged on the game (IMO). I could be wrong and really hope I am :)

Oh, and I would suggest a 4670k since I have heard it is the best bang for your buck.

Solution

iMammoth

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

Good point!
I totally forgot to take multi-tasking into consideration.
No offence, but let's hope you ARE wrong! haha! :D

Lord_Kitty

Honorable
May 31, 2013
The current AMD 8 core CPUs don't have 8 full cores. They are more of a cluster of 2 cores with resources for only one. It works a lot like Hyper-Threading, except that instead of 4 cores pretending to be 8, its 8 cores who are actually 4.

The performances in heavily multi-threaded applications are still good, but the chances that it will shadow a good and efficient Intel 4 cores aren't too big.

lolzorz

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I know that everyone is being told to wait for next gen and its getting annoying, but this is a case where it would be better to wait and see what happens. It could very well turn out that there is almost no difference, or it could turn out that an 8core amd cpu outperforms a quad core intel by 10 or so fps, which is quite significant. Its extremely unlikely since intel usually dominates amd at the high end cpu range for years, but when next gen consoles hit with their 8 core cpus, games could likely become optimized for 8 core.

TRENDING THREADS