CPU question

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anybody know if it would be worth my while putting a P2/3-450 onto my 440LX board and clock it at 333Mhz (its the slowest proc I can find at the mo)?? I know overclocking is stressful for the processor, but what about underclocking ??
(not too worried, getting a new system in new year)

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Underclocking post NO problems at all... that's funny. Buy a 450 processor and get it 333MHz effective. Change a new mobo instead. :smile:

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

G

Two things: do you want to use a non-standard FSB to get it to run at 333 ? Cause a 450 CPU, got a locked multiplier of 4.5, and that gets you to 300MHz, with the standard 66 MHz FSB...
Second, and more importantly: altough the Athlon is a completely differnt kind of animal, but i tried to underclock it 6 mos. ago, just for the fun of it... I didn't succeed. I lowered the voltage to 1.3 volts core 3.3 volts I/O and it still didn't boot... On the other hand i am right now using a PII-333 underclocked at 266MHz, and it workz fine...(This is a non-multiplier-locked CPU) Needless to say at the standard deschutes voltage of 2.0 Volts core...

G

Oh, yeah forgot to say : i even ran this pII at 166 MHz, so i think you won't have problems with intel CPUs...

G

What kinda mobo is it? Cause you'll probably have up to 83mhz bus on that LX card, so from a 450mhz P2 you'll get 373,5 mhz (given that the rest of your components can handle the oc'ed speeds, pci-bus/agp out of specs).

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crippling CPU's is nothing to be proud of, but you can do it. I'd just pick up an ABIT or ASUS board and overclock that piece to the upper 600's.

G

that you CAN get a 450 to run on that mobo
the 450 has a hard set bus speed of 100mhz
that mobo won't go that high if memory serves. As a result I don't think it will run at all in it. Underclocking causes no problems, that motherboard is garbage though, if I were you I'd just wait until the new year and start over with the new system, sounds like too much would need to be upgraded with that old one to make it worthwhile.

-Infornography
life as we know it is absurd

G

I have to agree there. Keep your money and start a new system all over with a little salvaging maybe, but it would be to lose money to go on with your plan. ( unleast you can get the PII-450 for a VERY low price.)

G

Before anyone missunderstands me with my "underclocked" PII, i run at 266MHz, to be able to softFSB it, when i need the 400 or 412 MHz power... (My mobo sets multipliers via jumpers, and i don't have the classic keyboard lock on my case to fumble around - if u don't know what i mean: multipliers can be changed dynamically without much problems, and way back in the stoneage we used the AT-cases keyboard lock function for this function, just plug it on the appropriate jumper, and u got the ideal jumper on/off solution.)

G

NOW that is a wicked idea ungee. I was there in the stoneage. Never thought of it. That's a real original idea. :) ALmost makes me want to have a little fun....

Back to the point, underclocking, to my knowledge, has never damgaed a processor. But there is the point that it would be kind of odd to spend the money for the processor and then upgrade again in a year. Maybe you should just hold onto the money and wait a bit, unless you can get the chip for DIRT CHEAP. Then the invesment may be worth it. All depends on your need for speed I guess.

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

G

Don't waste the money for a Pentium 2/3. Get a Celeron. Since you are running it so slow, why pay extra.The performance will be about the same anyway. A Celeron at 400 mhz should be dirt cheap. There may even be some 333's around.

G

That won't work. There is no way that any motherboard maker would incorporate the microcode for that cpu into the bios for an lx chipset motherboard. Go with a 500 or 533 ppga celeron instead.

Kerbear

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Found a site earlier today, many of you may be familiar with it. I wasn't . www.compgeeks.com The sell used stuff. They have a 300 mhz PII for like 50 bucks. If you want you could try taking a peak at their site. If not, well don't.

TRENDING THREADS