CPU Questions for Dell E520, and other general inquiry

JtheDreadful

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Hello;

I've currently got a Dell Dimension E520 desktop. The System Specs (those I think are pertinent to my question, if you need more detail, just ask) are as follows:

BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 2.3.2

Processor: Interl Core 2 CPU 4300 @1.80 GHz

Memory 1024MB RAM

Graphics: Intel g965 Express Chitpset GMA x3000 (I am assuming this is an integrated chip.) with 250 MB of memory.

Little by little, I am trying to upgrade this machine into a more capable desktop. I'll be purchasing a new graphics card (assuming it works, after trial) from a friend: ATI Radeon 4670.

My primary question, however, concerns the mobo and processor.

I've been scouring the internet, but dont much understand the results I've come across. I'd like to know what are my options, if any, for a faster processor. If there are no options, what route might I take to upgrade my mother board?

I'm by no means a tech expert, though most of the non techie's in my life would say otherwise, so I appreciate any useful input or advice on upgrading my machine in general.

As a side note, does anyone know if there is any reason why that GPU shouldn't work with my machine? (Minor concern, as we'll test run it before I pay him.)

It should also be noted that I my display is a thirty-two inch Sanyo HDTV.

(I apologize if my post is incoherent or seems a bit rambly, I've got a hard time organizing my thoughts. Thanks for the patience. If you need me to clarify, don't hesitate to ask.)

JtheDreadful

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
I just made another rambling post. I'm deleting it all and starting over.

This is not intended to be a gaming rig, playing newer games, (or any at all for that matter, this thing can't run the sims 3.) is a bonus, and not a goal. I'm mainly a console gamer because it is much more wallet friendly, (Gamefly and all that, no upgrades to make.) although that may change in the future. My computer is basically my cable, radio, and entertainment box. My Xbox is for games. It's also going to be a work machine in about a year, (medical transcription, so not a whole lot of demand from the computer there.)

Direct answers to your questions:

1. I think the most my machine will support is two gigs of ram, although I could be mistaken. The uncertainty is why I haven't purchased any yet.

2. My biggest graphical issues are what appears to be a refreshing issue when watching videos, and I'd like to be able to run my desktop at higher resolutions. I can do the native resolution just find, but I'd like to be able to fit more on the screen. It's a huge screen after all, and I'm only a foot away.

3. Games are not a big issue, but if I'm able to play a few of the newer or even last generations games, that's a fine plus.

4. I assume OC is operating capacity? Upgrading the CPU is one of my main goals, but I'm unsure of the whole compatibility thing. An answer to that inquiry is the primary reason for this post.

5. There is no budget, perse. I'm 'frugle' (read; cheap), which is why I'm kind of trying to do this one piece at a time. I'm after value, but I'm always willing to spend a bit for quality.

6. Not so much an answer, but, Would that graphics card let me watch HD television and movies and such? I assume so what with the DVI/HDMI outputs, but lords knows I've been wrong before.

Maybe this post came off a bit rambly too. Oh well, it's as concise as I could get it. -post-

JtheDreadful

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Your posts were quite informative, and gave a bit of good information. Especially useful was the link to the Dell website with my PC's exact configurations. Why I couldn't turn up that same page on my own is a mystery.

Unfortunately, you did not directly answer my primary question. The documentation you provided me with, however, would appear to give an answer, at least if I'm reading this correctly.

I'm not entirely sure how processors are named, but from what I can tell, I've got the fastest out of the three listed. Whether or not there are more than one type of the processor I have, and whether or not they would still work with my machine still remains inconclusive.

Thanks for the help you've given me so far, and for anything else you manage to post my way.