[SOLVED] CPU Questions & Upgrade Concerns.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Hello!

So I'm thinking on upgrading my PC, specially my CPU.
To do so, I also need to upgrade my Ram and Mobo (because of how old it all is.)

I have a few questions before I move forward.

I currently own an i7 4790k and DDR3 1333mhz RAM using an GTX 980ti.

1. What CPU, and CPU specs are best for MMO Gaming?
As those are the main focus of games I play, and would like the best performance for those specifically.
The ones I play are Final Fantasy XIV and Guild Wars 2. While no an MMO I also play online games like Warframe and Destiny 2.

2. Does RAM play a huge part in MMO Gaming?
I'll also be upgrading that and won't get anything crazy but probably DDR4 around high 2xxx to low 3xxx range mhz speeds.

3. Which Brand (Intel vs AMD) would be best for MMO Gaming?
Generally speaking, and gaming specific, what are the downsides if any to using AMD over Intel, or vise versa?

4. How much of a performance would I gain upgrading my CPU? Specially if I keep the 980ti, would upgrading to an i9 9900k, or one of the similar AMD CPUs give me a huge increase in any field for gaming? I game at 144hz 1440p and I was told a 980ti could handle this, but I rarely ever see FPS near those speeds.

Thank you for the time, and I hope to hear from you all soon!

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Believe or not, 4790k is still pretty close to the top of the line in gaming.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_TiboYqf7M

It is old but not Intel is just crawling with those refreshes...
Only thing you may see bigger improvement is like 20 man raid, 8 threads will be limited on that. To me, I will probably keep 4790k and wait for 10th gen.
I see.
And how much improvement would I see (or bottlenecking) if instead of upgrading my cpu, ram, mobo, etc. I instead get a 2080ti to replace the 980ti?