Question CPU / RAM Compatibility

Jan 9, 2023
Going around in circles, HELP????

I’ve upgraded my Sons motherboard to an Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo and I’m having RAM issues. I’ve got an i7-6700 CPU installed and the only RAM I can get to work without the RAM LED coming on with no video output is a single DDR4-2133mhz 8Gb stick and it’ll only work in one slot.

The 2 x 8Gb DDR4-2666mhz sticks I’ve bought to install have RGB and illuminate but the RAM LED comes and I get no video output but from what I’ve read, the RAM should automatically be reduced to the 2133mhz CPU capacity? The CPU is compatible and as far as I can tell the RAM should be compatible (KF426C16BBAK2/16 Kingston FURY Beast RGB - DDR4 - kit - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB)

The Mobo clearly has the RAM capacity as it’ll take 64Gb so all I can think is that the CPU isn’t compatible????

What am I missing???

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

as you migrated platforms, we'll be seeing a before and after of your specs. Can you work with the old stick of ram? If so, can you get into BIOS and see what version you're on? Something tells me either you're populating the wrong slots or the board is pending BIOS updates.

Jan 9, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

as you migrated platforms, we'll be seeing a before and after of your specs. Can you work with the old stick of ram? If so, can you get into BIOS and see what version you're on? Something tells me either you're populating the wrong slots or the board is pending BIOS updates.

Hi. Details below off the top of my head as I’m not at home at the moment :

CPU: i7-6700 (was i5-3770)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming (was Intel H-61)
Ram: KF426C16BBAK2/16 Kingston FURY Beast RGB - DDR4 - kit - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB (was DDR3 so can’t be used)
SSD/HDD: HDD 3 x 1tb (2 x Seagate 1tb I’ve added, boot drive not sure)
GPU: 1660ti
PSU: ??
Chassis: ??
OS: Windows 10 (need to sort activation with Microsoft as the key didn’t work)
Monitor: Samsung 24in

The Mobo is second hand but when I install the single 2133mhz stick and can get the bios screen up with, I’ve reset the board bios to default.

I’ve since tried installing both RAM sticks (2666mhz) in the two right slots (one grey, one black) and the PC boots to the Bios screen, recognises both RAM sticks and correctly lists the spec in A1/A2 but once I save and exit, the RAM LED comes on again and no video output???

TRENDING THREADS