[SOLVED] CPU randomly overheats

Gavin Crane PC

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
At random times throughout the day, my 3700x will spike to 90+ C causing a system shut down while doing light tasks, gaming or even idling. When using stress tests such as prime 95 it peaks at 70-75C. I am using a 240mm AIO which I think may be the culprit, but I don't have another cooler to test with. I have re-applied thermal paste and locked voltages to 1.3 volts for the CPU. I haven't overclocked it at all.

Any ideas? Is my pump just crapping itself randomly? Thanks in advance.

Specs:
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
MOBO: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon x570
CPU: R7 3700x
RAM: G Skill 2x8GB OC'd to 3600MHz CL 14
AIO: Captian 240 RGB V2
PSU: CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
STORAGE: Running one nvme M.2 drive, one 2.5 in sata drive, and a mechanical drive.

Solution
Well form what I know with liquid cooling your CPU shouldn't even reach 70C in overclocking so you're probably right. So try it with a simple fan and see how that goes

Gavin Crane PC

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Latest BIOS version for your motherbaord? I would look into a donor/replacement PSU to rule out the Vengeance being incapable of powering the system when taxed.

Case?

My case is the h500. I know it isn't the best in terms of airflow but I have 4 fans (2 intake 2 exhaust). I'm curious about the PSU not being able to power the system when taxed. Is that a thing I should worry about? I mean its 650w which I think is enough for a 3700x and the rest of my setup. I'll try updating bios in the meantime

DanteKid

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019
Well form what I know with liquid cooling your CPU shouldn't even reach 70C in overclocking so you're probably right. So try it with a simple fan and see how that goes

Solution