[SOLVED] CPU randomly reduces clockspeed

marci.petes

Commendable
Nov 17, 2018
NOTE: This is a laptop.

<--HOW IT HAPPENED-->

This started recently, and occured at seemingly random times. First, it was just when I was playing games like Terraria and Brawlhalla for hours. I checked CPU/GPU heat, CPU heat was 70°C at max, and GPU was about the same too. Then one day I just launched a game while there was basically nothing in the background except Chrome running with one tab, and it happened again. Then it just randomly started happening while I was lets say watching youtube.

<--WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENS-->

CPU usage in the task manager drops to ~22% (0.48 GHz) and everything kinda freezes and comes to halt, sometimes even apps crash. Game FPS drops to about 10 FPS. After about 10 seconds (shortest ~1 second, longest ~20 seconds), it returns back to normal. CPU usage in the task manager (mostly) doesn't reach 100% (about 70-80% most of the time)

<--WHAT I ALREADY TRIED-->

Since I don't know much about issues like this, all I tried was playing on lower graphics and continously observing CPU/GPU usage and heat. Nothing irregular happened, once the CPU and GPU heat reached 90°C when I was testing more resource intensive games, oddly it didnt happen in either of those cases.

<--TOOLS AND SPECS-->

Heat Measured with: HWiNFO, Speedfan
CPU: i5-5200U 2.20 GHz (Ran at 2.50 GHz since I bought it)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 840M
Previous Issues: HDD Failure

<--IMAGE OF WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE IN TASK MANAGER-->
ph6MpCb.png

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
seems like CPU throttling, i think you have the default windows power plan. You should change it to maximum performance plan. You can look it up on youtube or some guides, it's pretty easy.

marci.petes

Commendable
Nov 17, 2018
seems like CPU throttling, i think you have the default windows power plan. You should change it to maximum performance plan. You can look it up on youtube or some guides, it's pretty easy.
I was using High Performance so far, maybe that'll help. Thank you for the suggestion I'll see if it works

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
May i ask, how old is the computer? because if it's old, unless you have experience by disassembling and assembling laptops, i would recomend buying a new one. But i'd say your laptop is 4 years old or something around that

marci.petes

Commendable
Nov 17, 2018
May i ask, how old is the computer? because if it's old, unless you have experience by disassembling and assembling laptops, i would recomend buying a new one. But i'd say your laptop is 4 years old or something around that
Yes, it's about 4 yrs old. And I did plan on getting a better one, but I don't have the money for it yet. Just kinda wanna not kill this till I get that.

marci.petes

Commendable
Nov 17, 2018
If that's the case, i can guarantee you 95% it will fix the throttling issue, unless you have some weird configuration on your bios.
The last time I touched my BIOS was when I did a hardware diagnosis, because the laptop wasn't starting (when the HDD failed) so doubt that would be an issue, but thanks for all the recommendations everyone