Question CPU randomly started running at 100% and getting very hot upon launching games

Oct 13, 2022
So here's the whole story. I was playing a game when suddenly my monitor turned off and HDMI lost connection so I did a hard shutdown after waiting 10 minutes or so with no change. After turning my PC back on after a few minutes, I attempted to relaunch a game. After a glitchy and slow launch, my game ran with awful, choppy, and slow graphics; my CPU usage sat around 100% while rapidly rising to 70C-75C. I then closed the game and saw that an update and restart was suddenly available so I did it in hopes it would correct the issue for me somehow. It did not. The games still ran the same. I then uninstalled the update (it hopes that there was a bug with the update causing it) to no avail. I have cleaned off the fans and I have enough airflow.
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz
GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series

(edit) also failed to mention that it runs absolutely fine when no games are running. When attempting to watch a video, the video will seem slightly choppy and lower res than 1080p even when set to it.

Last edited: