[SOLVED] CPU reaches 80°C on 20% load

Amo901

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Hello everyone,

I thought this would be a good place to ask; I feel like my CPU hitting 80 degrees on minimal load is definitely a bad sign.

It's a gaming laptop that I bought in 2017 that I've used almost daily for 3 hours minimum. I've opened it up and used compressed air cans to clean out the dust but even with the inside being clean it hits 80-90 degrees.

Is my laptop at the end of its life? My CPU gotten too old? Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Hello everyone,

I thought this would be a good place to ask; I feel like my CPU hitting 80 degrees on minimal load is definitely a bad sign.

It's a gaming laptop that I bought in 2017 that I've used almost daily for 3 hours minimum. I've opened it up and used compressed air cans to clean out the dust but even with the inside being clean it hits 80-90 degrees.

Is my laptop at the end of its life? My CPU gotten too old? Any help would be appreciated.
What are your bios/uefi settings?
If it has a 90 temp target it will hit those 90 degrees no matter how clean your system is or how well you apply that paste,this is being done to keep the fans quiet.

If you have fans that sound like jet engines and you hit high temps that's when...

dimtodim

Reputable
Hello everyone,

tray change termal paste

Hello everyone,

If it has a 90 temp target it will hit those 90 degrees no matter how clean your system is or how well you apply that paste,this is being done to keep the fans quiet.

If you have fans that sound like jet engines and you hit high temps that's when you have actual problems.

Solution

Amo901

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016

If you have fans that sound like jet engines and you hit high temps that's when you have actual problems.

How do I check these bios/uefi settings?

And yes, my fans have been starting to sound like jet engines and I keep hitting these high temperatures.

What might have changed?
What is the make/model of your laptop?

Can you verify that the cpu cooler fan is running at the proper rpm?
HWmonitor should be able to confirm this.

Possibly the cpu cooler has been dislodged
It would be worth remounting the cooler with new paste.
Sometimes paste can dry out and become less effective.

Use google to find a video on how to do the job.
Or, possibly there is a maintenance document for your laptop.

Amo901

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
What might have changed?
What is the make/model of your laptop?

Can you verify that the cpu cooler fan is running at the proper rpm?
HWmonitor should be able to confirm this.

Possibly the cpu cooler has been dislodged
It would be worth remounting the cooler with new paste.
Sometimes paste can dry out and become less effective.

Use google to find a video on how to do the job.
Or, possibly there is a maintenance document for your laptop.

I can safely say that nothing really changed over the years that I've been using it, over time the fans have just been very loud and the heat has been reaching very high levels.

My laptop is a Metabox Alpha N850HJ. It's got an Intel I7-7700HQ and a GTX 1050, 8GB DDR3, 240GB SSD and 1TB HDD.

HWMonitor is what let me check the temperature before. The only reason it's at 60 right now is because I have it unplugged. The second I plug it back in, the temps go back to 80-90 degrees. But I can't seem to see any cooler RPMs on HWMonitor.

Someone suggested replacing the thermal paste and I'm going to do that using this tutorial.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTi4LGu9SOs&ab_channel=BYOGamingPC