[SOLVED] CPU reaching 100C when starting up games

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
Hi all,

i’ve been experiencing random shutdowns and restart so I looked at GPU-Z data and saw that upon starting games my CPU will jump from an idle temp of around 55 all the way to 100 at the worst. I’ve reapplied thermal paste and I’m using the stock in the cooler for the Ryzen 5 3200. I’ve got the Fractal Design G which only comes with two intake fans on the front and no fan on the back. I’ve bought an extra case fan for the back however I don’t think that the CPU should be reaching that kind of temperature just without a rear case fan. Is there anything else that can be causing it?

Solution
Alright so update if anyone has this issue. Turns out some 3600 default to 1.45v in the BIOS but will show at 1.1v in Ryzen Master. The fix is to change it in Ryzen Master, in my case setting it to 1.3v which lets it run at max 79C under load. Thanks for the help everyone!

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.....

Did the problem just start "happening"? Meaning that all has been well to date and then the shutdowns started and have, perhaps, been increasing in frequency.

Look in Reliability History for errors that correspond to the shutdowns; is there one constant error or a variety of errors?

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition.....

Did the problem just start "happening"? Meaning that all has been well to date and then the shutdowns started and have, perhaps, been increasing in frequency.

Look in Reliability History for errors that correspond to the shutdowns; is there one constant error or a variety of errors?
All parts are brand new (2 days

CPU- Ryzen 5 3200
CPU Cooler - Stock
GPU - 5700XT Thicc III
MoBo - B450 Gaming Plus Max
RAM - 16GB (8GBx2) Corsair DDR4
PSU - CS650W, 650W
OS - Windows 10 Pro

I’ve built the PC about 2 days ago. Looking in reliability history all it says is windows shut down unexpectedly several times

Ralston18

Titan
Starting with the User Manual for your motherboard, doublecheck both the physical configuration and the associated software configuration settings.

And, while doing so, double check against the applicable user guide/manuals for all installed components.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Take another look. Use a bright flashlight to look everything over.

Everyone is (or at least should be) careful about a new build. You do not want to force any connections or seatings but sometimes they can be and are "stiff". Feels in place but truly are not.

Reseat everything to ensure that all components, power connections, and data connections are fully and firmly in place. Wiggle and use gentle pressure to do so.

Again, the User Guides/Manuals should be checked - make certain that the connectivity is correct.

I expect a well mounted cooler to run at 10-15c. over ambient.
55c. to start with seems high.
Some possibilities:
1. When mounting the cooler, you need to get it level.
The key to that is to tighten down the mounting screws a little bit at a time in a crosswise pattern.
2. Using too much paste is a mistake.
The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces.
Paste is better than air, but not as good as metal to metal contact.
.A small drop of paste in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.
3. Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air. Your case is a good one for air cooling.
Verify that the front intakes are working and drawing in air. Adding the 120mm in the rear as exhaust will help by drawing cooler air across the motherboard and cooler.
4. Dumb question: Is the cpu fan spinning? Does it spin up under load?

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
Starting with the User Manual for your motherboard, doublecheck both the physical configuration and the associated software configuration settings.

And, while doing so, double check against the applicable user guide/manuals for all installed components.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Take another look. Use a bright flashlight to look everything over.

Everyone is (or at least should be) careful about a new build. You do not want to force any connections or seatings but sometimes they can be and are "stiff". Feels in place but truly are not.

Reseat everything to ensure that all components, power connections, and data connections are fully and firmly in place. Wiggle and use gentle pressure to do so.

Again, the User Guides/Manuals should be checked - make certain that the connectivity is correct.
It’s all good on this front, I’ve reseated everything and still boiling hot

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
I expect a well mounted cooler to run at 10-15c. over ambient.
55c. to start with seems high.
Some possibilities:
1. When mounting the cooler, you need to get it level.
The key to that is to tighten down the mounting screws a little bit at a time in a crosswise pattern.
2. Using too much paste is a mistake.
The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces.
Paste is better than air, but not as good as metal to metal contact.
.A small drop of paste in the center will spread out under heat and pressure.
3. Any cooler needs a good source of fresh air. Your case is a good one for air cooling.
Verify that the front intakes are working and drawing in air. Adding the 120mm in the rear as exhaust will help by drawing cooler air across the motherboard and cooler.
4. Dumb question: Is the cpu fan spinning? Does it spin up under load?
1. That isn’t possible with the motherboard screw-in is it?

2. I used just a small pea of it at first, then removed that and renewed it as I thought it was a poor installation that was causing it. No dice I’m afraid. The MX4 I have is old, about 8 months, so I’ve ordered more and it arrives tomorrow

3.One is ordered and arrives tomorrow!

All parts are brand new (2 days

CPU- Ryzen 5 3200
CPU Cooler - Stock
GPU - 5700XT Thicc III
MoBo - B450 Gaming Plus Max
RAM - 16GB (8GBx2) Corsair DDR4
PSU - CS650W, 650W
OS - Windows 10 Pro

I’ve built the PC about 2 days ago. Looking in reliability history all it says is windows shut down unexpectedly several times

Update the BIOS, and make sure CPU voltage is set to auto. Please report back your CPU voltages you see in Ryzen Master software. It should be no higher than 1.3V. 1.4V is possible, but not recommended.

Use Ryzen Master to determine temperatures.

Reactions: Makaveli

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Reactions: digitalgriffin
Actually reading through this is very confusing. It has my memory clock at 1333?

x2. It's double data rate. So you really are running a 2666MHz on the memory. (It catches the rising edge and falling edge of the clock signal) If you bought faster memory, use XMP setting in BIOS.

I agree with COLGeek. Sounds like your cooler is not properly mounted especially with a ~1.1V

But just the same use Power On Safe BIOS Defaults (In restart options of BIOS). This will reset all the voltages of all sub systems. The only time I have seen hot idle temps with a properly mounted heat sink was due to improper voltages.

A common mistake with a 4 screw is over tightening one corner first. It creates uneven pressure. Turn each screw till there is light resistance and then turn them down using a x pattern 1->3->2->4. Repeat the pattern till they feel tight.

Last edited:

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
x2. It's double data rate. So you really are running a 2666MHz on the memory. (It catches the rising edge and falling edge of the clock signal) If you bought faster memory, use XMP setting in BIOS.

I agree with COLGeek. Sounds like your cooler is not properly mounted especially with a ~1.1V

But just the same use Power On Safe BIOS Defaults (In restart options of BIOS). This will reset all the voltages of all sub systems. The only time I have seen hot idle temps with a properly mounted heat sink was due to improper voltages.

A common mistake with a 4 screw is over tightening one corner first. It creates uneven pressure. Turn each screw till there is light resistance and then turn them down using a x pattern 1->3->2->4. Repeat the pattern till they feel tight.
This could be why! I did top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left

Why did you applied 8 year old thermal paste to a CPU you just bought two days ago?

All AMD stock coolers come with pre-applied thermal paste thats good enough and should last atleast 1 year.

Also before you applied that old MX4 (which should be good enough to keep the CPu away from 100°C) did you cleanned the old one that came pre-applied?

Make sure you are not mixing both thermal paste and remount the CPU in a cross pattern as it was mention earlier. Also make sure the to tight the screws strong enough, if the cooler is not making good contact with the CPU it wont work as intended.

1 3
Cooler
4 2

Cheers

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
Why did you applied 8 year old thermal paste to a CPU you just bought two days ago?

All AMD stock coolers come with pre-applied thermal paste thats good enough and should last atleast 1 year.

Also before you applied that old MX4 (which should be good enough to keep the CPu away from 100°C) did you cleanned the old one that came pre-applied?

Make sure you are not mixing both thermal paste and remount the CPU in a cross pattern as it was mention earlier. Also make sure the to tight the screws strong enough, if the cooler is not making good contact with the CPU it wont work as intended.

1 3
Cooler
4 2

Cheers
Was told that the stock paste wasn’t great and to replace it with something like MX4. Had some from and old build and just used it

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
Wait... some stock AMD cooler needs you to remove the retention hooks form the motherboard in order to install the stock cooler, you did this right ?
Unsure what you mean by retention hooks, assuming you mean the lever that pushes the mechanism that holds the CPU in place, no. If you mean the metal like contraption that goes over the CPU Socket in most monk’s, mine didn’t have one