[SOLVED] CPU reaching 100C when starting up games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
Hi all,

i’ve been experiencing random shutdowns and restart so I looked at GPU-Z data and saw that upon starting games my CPU will jump from an idle temp of around 55 all the way to 100 at the worst. I’ve reapplied thermal paste and I’m using the stock in the cooler for the Ryzen 5 3200. I’ve got the Fractal Design G which only comes with two intake fans on the front and no fan on the back. I’ve bought an extra case fan for the back however I don’t think that the CPU should be reaching that kind of temperature just without a rear case fan. Is there anything else that can be causing it?

Solution
Alright so update if anyone has this issue. Turns out some 3600 default to 1.45v in the BIOS but will show at 1.1v in Ryzen Master. The fix is to change it in Ryzen Master, in my case setting it to 1.3v which lets it run at max 79C under load. Thanks for the help everyone!
Unsure what you mean by retention hooks, assuming you mean the lever that pushes the mechanism that holds the CPU in place, no. If you mean the metal like contraption that goes over the CPU Socket in most monk’s, mine didn’t have one

You didn't have a metal back plate?

That explains a lot. You need one! That increases the space on screws and increases the mounting pressure before they bottom out! Not only that, but it spreads pressure over your motherboard so that it isn't damaged during tightening! How are you securing the threads on the heat sink?

Your CPU cooler should also have springs on each screw. CPU Fan RPM's should be about 2800 RPM.

Last edited:

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
You didn't have a metal back plate?

That explains a lot. You need one! That increases the space on screws and increases the mounting pressure before they bottom out! Not only that, but it spreads pressure over your motherboard so that it isn't damaged during tightening! How are you securing the threads on the heat sink?

Your CPU cooler should also have springs on each screw. CPU Fan RPM's should be about 2800 RPM.
There is a backplate, I believe it’s a mesh of metal and plastic. I’ll check fan RPM in the BIOS now

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
WAY TOO HIGH! It should be ~1.2V Maybe 1.25. But 1.2 should be stable. You need some serious liquid cooling to support that kind of voltage (1.4V+) and even then not long term.
I’m a complete novice at all this. I haven’t set it to that, it’s came out the box on it. How’d I change it? Note that that’s Core CPU Voktage and not Socket which seems to be at 1.1

harry_redhead

Prominent
Nov 10, 2018
Alright so update if anyone has this issue. Turns out some 3600 default to 1.45v in the BIOS but will show at 1.1v in Ryzen Master. The fix is to change it in Ryzen Master, in my case setting it to 1.3v which lets it run at max 79C under load. Thanks for the help everyone!

Solution

Well thats not a fix, more a patch, and it should not be 1.45v in BIOS, thus theres an issues or something that is not set to the right value in BIOS.

Since you have an MSI motherboard it may be that the Game Boost function is Enable (this is like a preset overclocking) it should be OFF for default operation, and/or once you get inside the Advanced settings (press F7 to switch to Advanced Mode/View) check and make sure the vcore should be set to Auto.

Reactions: deesider