[SOLVED] CPU reaching 75c while gaming and even spiking to 85c

Feb 28, 2021
Hello! I'm new to this website and still a little new to computers in general but I've had my computer for almost a year now and I havent ever noticed my CPU temps this high before while playing black ops cold war.

While idle it runs at 50-60 c and while playing cold war it goes up to 75c and even spikes up to 85 which has me quite worried. Any advice or help would be much appreciated

My specs are
Asus ROG Strix b450-f Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz w/ 4.2Ghz Boost
Nvidia RTX 2080 Super 8gb
Team Delta 16gb (2x 8gb) 3200mhz RAM
Hynix 512gb NVMe M.2 Ssd (boot drive/storage)
Samsung Evo 1tb SSD (Storage)
CoolerMaster TD500 ARGB Case
Azza PSAZ 650w RGB Power Supply
Windows 10 Pro Operating System

Last edited:
Solution
Spikes of 10c aren't too out of the ordinary, it just means something new popped up and the cpu had to work extra hard to process it. 85c while gaming is not good. What worries me more is the idle temps, 50+ on idle seems a bit high. Maybe you have a bad mount, try tightening the screws on your cooler a bit and see if that helps or just re-seat altogether.
If the thermal paste application is older than 6 months you probably wanna look into that. Although 6 months isn't enough for thermal paste to wear out, it varies for every type of paste used.
Spikes of 10c aren't too out of the ordinary, it just means something new popped up and the cpu had to work extra hard to process it. 85c while gaming is not good. What worries me more is the idle temps, 50+ on idle seems a bit high. Maybe you have a bad mount, try tightening the screws on your cooler a bit and see if that helps or just re-seat altogether.
If the thermal paste application is older than 6 months you probably wanna look into that. Although 6 months isn't enough for thermal paste to wear out, it varies for every type of paste used.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Cold War runs AVX instruction set, that's why.

At the same frequencies, the AVX instruction set is faster than the more widely used SSE instruction set, but has higher power and voltage demands, thus produces more heat.

Without having to go out and spend money on a stronger cooler, it's easy enough to go into bios and try applying a Vcore offset if you haven't already, like -0.01v.
You likely can apply a larger offset than -0.01, just dial it back a bit if it crashes from you setting the offset too high.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I set an AVX offset of -2 in the BIOS... dropping my clock speed 200mhz when running AVX. I do a lot of encoding with Handbrake which is my main reasons for doing it. It's worth a good 10C on temps while losing very little overall performance. Same would apply to games I'd think... I'll have to pay closer attention to Cold War temps the next time I run it.

Reactions: Bassman999
D

Deleted member 2838871

@TravisPNW
Ryzen doesn't have the option to set AVX offsets, so the next best thing for Ryzen usesrs is to play around with Vcore offsets(-), get better cooling - or both.

Well, I guess one could set a lower core clock... EWW.

Ahhhhh! Learn something new every day! I haven't used an AMD cpu since the Athlon XP 1800+ back in 2001... which would explain why I didn't know that. :LOL:

Ahhhhh! Learn something new every day! I haven't used an AMD cpu since the Athlon XP 1800+ back in 2001... which would explain why I didn't know that. :LOL:
Ryzen doesn't use an offset for AVX instructions, instead it quickly and efficiently lowers clocks and operating voltage to stay in a safe operating range. It's just as effective as an offset but based on operating temperature instead of instruction set.

There are dozens of sensors all over the CPU it monitors to do it very quickly, the spikes in temp are the hottest sensor in that tiny area of the CPU. It spikes temperature when it boosts and the spikes themselves aren't really all that thermally significant. But then, 75C isn't at all bad for sustained operation and spikes to 85 are perfectly safe. What you are seeing is perfectly normal and not anything to worry about.

The CPU is designed to be safe for temp's up to about 95C although I'd not like mine to run long tasks with sustained temperatures above low-mid 80's simply because it is pulling back on clocks to keep safe. I'd find the platform thermal limit setting and set that for 85-90C instead of lowering VCore. In fact, beware lowering VCore as it's easy to kill Ryzen's performance that way. And do it only with offsets as setting a fixed voltage takes away the boost algorithm's ability to lower voltage and keep it 'safe' when working hard.

Last edited:

jamzkang

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
CPU's can easily run @ 85C-87C. Once you get over 90C+, thats when you start seeing the CPU throttling slightly, but even @ those temps its completely fine.
Just make sure you turn on the fan @ turbo while you're gaming.
I have an AMD 4900S, and it idles around 40C but will get as high as 70C while gaming. Make sure you have a good cooling pad or good airflow going into that laptop. If youre really worried about the temps, you can crack your laptop open and use the thermal compound Grizzly, and that'll definitely keep your CPU cooler.

Cliffs: Don't worry about it, turn on fans @ maximum while gaming, problem solved. Use Grizzly thermal compound if youre really bothered by the temperature.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens start throttling at @ 75°C±. But it's generally not something ppl notice because it's 100MHz± from fastest single core boost, and game boost levels are in constant Flux between cores. So if 3 cores were hitting 4.4GHz at 70°, instead at 75° you'd get 2x 4.4GHz and 1x 4.3GHz.

Ryzens always try to give the best performance according to their set limits, if that means a slight downclocks to keep temps @ 75°C, that's what they do. It's only when the cpu reaches @ 95°C that you'll see termination of all boosts, or even more aggressive downclocks, which is when fps tanks hard and ppl eventually notice the obvious difference.

Laptops run hot. Given the same workloads, there isn't a laptop made that equals a desktop for cooling ability, so temps will be higher, even with lower wattage cpus/APU's. Between battery concerns, lousy airflow (those really nice, uber thin versions are the worst culprits) and hotter running components like Gen4 NVMe, Ryzen idle habits etc, don't judge the laptop by desktop standards.

👍 for any laptop that can stay below 90's under a gaming load.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

TRENDING THREADS