Question CPU reaching 99 Degrees during Apex Legends thinking of upgrading to NZXT X53 RGB but it worth it?

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
So my issue is that the case i have (xidax x5) is terrible for airflow plus it only came with 2 YES 2 case fans and a single fan AIO and I don't think you can take the front panel off. So I was wondering would getting good case fans and a NZXT x53RGB be even worth it? I just don't want to spend 200+ dollars and be downs poops creek. The temps go from 75-85 when looting and loading in, but sometimes hit the 90s when I am in a intense fight. For now Apex runs like a dream no issues but with those temps it's only matter of time even if they hit the 90s for like a second. I just want Decent Thermal's damnit.

My Pc specs
Case: Xidax x5 case ( I know i could probably fix the problem with a better airflow case, but I am Lazy and have a hand eye cordination disability so I really don't want to go down that route)
CPU: Intel core i7 8700 nonk (any CPU upgrades are welcome, but I cannot afford a new CPU at the moment I am on Disability, so that is a no go.)
GPU: Zotac overclocked Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080TI 11GB
Motherboard: MSI z370 SLI Plus
Ram: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro NVME M.2 1TB SSD (Now that I think about it my SDD gets kinda hot too which makes me think it might be an airflow problem it gets to 70-75 degrees when gaming)
Hardrive: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200 RPM
Liquid Cooler: Xidax 550LC CPU Cooler

x-5.jpg

Pretty sure this is a Metallic Gear Neo Micro (v1?) case.
https://metallicgear.com/products/Neo-Series-uATX-V2

I assume your AIO has a 120mm fan on it? Probably mounted in the rear exhaust?

The 2 case fans are mounted in the front as intake?

What component is getting to 90C? The CPU?

Are you doing any tweaking on the GPU (MSI afterburner or similar software)

Remove the side panel and test again. Need to make sure the AIO is functioning properly.

Reinstall the side panel, then remove the front panel. Test again. This will simulate unrestricted intake.

Front panel removal @ 4:45

Ultimately, your 8700K + 2080Ti is a large heat load for this case. What needs to be improved is airflow (hence suggestion to test with front panel removed). The V2 of this case clearly was meant to address the airflow issue with larger front grilles. Not sure how you are with power tools, or if the screening can be pulled out of the front panel vents. Really just need more open area for air to enter the case.
You can also reduce the heat output by not overclocking your CPU and/or GPU. Undervolting reduces power draw (heat) at the same performance level. You can also set Power % limits on the GPU. You'll cut more power than the performance you lose (you may already be losing GPU performance via thermal throttling, would be nice to know GPU temps under load).

Last edited:
At 99c. you should not be thermal throttling.
Run Hwmonitor while you are under load.
Look for max cpu temperatures of 100c. in red which indicates throttling.
Do you really have an issue that needs to be resolved?
You could limit your max cpu performance in windows power management to perhaps 95%.
Past that, any fix is going to involve some work.
Yes, the case can be changed out. You may need to pay a shop to do the job.
A new case with good front airflow might be $100. Look at CM for starters.
Installing a NZXT x53RGB is going to be difficult also, and certainly not in a poorly ventilated case.
A good dual tower air cooler sill cost less and be equally efficient in a good case.
About $90 for a top of the line noctua NH-D15s.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
At 99c. you should not be thermal throttling.
Run Hwmonitor while you are under load.
Look for max cpu temperatures of 100c. in red which indicates throttling.
Do you really have an issue that needs to be resolved?
You could limit your max cpu performance in windows power management to perhaps 95%.
Past that, any fix is going to involve some work.
Yes, the case can be changed out. You may need to pay a shop to do the job.
A new case with good front airflow might be $100. Look at CM for starters.
Installing a NZXT x53RGB is going to be difficult also, and certainly not in a poorly ventilated case.
A good dual tower air cooler sill cost less and be equally efficient in a good case.
About $90 for a top of the line noctua NH-D15s.
Really 99C is not thermal Throttling? Hwmonitor is the software I am using actually and It says that my one of my cores are Thermal Throttling for sure but max temp is 99C and that was Yesterday now it's 97C max. but at normal its around 33C. I really don't want to get a new case but if that is what is to be done then I guess that is what I am going to have to do.

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
If set up wisely, 2 fans and an AIO can cool a PC... but that case: bleh.
There's just too much going on for that poor little 120mm AIO to deal with. I vote for new case!

It isn't, unless it's 99.5C+(rounded to 100C), and many apps don't report core temperatures with decimal points.
Well it has only reached 99 one time so. and what's weird is my temps jump from like 68 to the 90s for like a milisecond. Might just have to look into a new case sigh. I really don't want to have to completely rebuild my PC. So I guess putting 3 new RGB fans and a x53 in my case will not fix my problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well it has only reached 99 one time so. and what's weird is my temps jump from like 68 to the 90s for like a milisecond. Might just have to look into a new case sigh. I really don't want to have to completely rebuild my PC. So I guess putting 3 new RGB fans and a x53 in my case will not fix my problem.
The rear AIO has to cope not just with the cpu it's mounted to, but the heat from everything in front of it, of which the open air gpu is the greatest heating element.
Add to that the lack of airflow, and you run into scenarios where the fluid in the loop soaks up heat faster than it can be expelled.
They are not magic - they still need a reasonable degree of air. What they've got going for them is that they allow the user to choose where the heat exchange takes place - radiator - for the device they're attached to.

Aye, 3 fans and a 240mm AIO won't fix things when case airflow is still in the dumps. That front panel is going to choke the 240mm's fans. In fact a case like this is AIO un-friendly, even though it supports mounting them.
An air cooler may hold up a little better in there than the 240 would, because its fans can't be installed up against a wall(figuratively speaking).

IMO, first and foremost, the case should change - you can reuse everything else. Also, instead of using the 120mm AIO as an exhaust, use it as an intake; it'll make things easier on the little guy.

Last edited:

animefan8910

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Well it has only reached 99 one time so. and what's weird is my temps jump from like 68 to the 90s for like a milisecond. Might just have to look into a new case sigh. I really don't want to have to completely rebuild my PC
Please perform the test I suggested in my first post (side panel removed) to make sure your AIO didn't just die. If the AIO pump died, a case swap isn't going to fix that.
The problem may be fixed I set my CPU to only use 85% and now it hits 68 at the highest.in apex., but I will probably be getting a new case though. I don't think the front panel comes off on this case. When I try to remove it it looks like it pulls on metal.

Xidax is a PC system builder, not a case manufacturer. The X5 is a system name they build. Aside from the gaudy Xidax logos on your tower, how does it differ from the Metallic Gear Neo Micro (v1) in the video above? Perhaps I retrieved the incorrect X5 system image? Is it this one instead?

x-5-tg.jpg

^ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

Last edited:

KyaraM

Admirable
Ya the front panel def does not come off. I pulled hard and it refuses and I don't want to break my case.
Not the front panel, the side panel. The big glass panel you can see in the post above. It is most commonly fixed by two thumbscrews at the back, but I have seen models where it could be opened by a push to the rightmost part of the glass before.

Also, I wouldn't consider butchering your CPU performance a fix... it's a bandaid at best and a pretty steep loss in performance. And 68°C is still pretty meh for those clock speeds...