CPU reaching Tj max! Bad TIM??

phuckhang10

Prominent
May 31, 2017
I have an i7 8700 non K cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper H410R, the CPU jumped straight to almost 100C after 10 minutes of AVX rendering in a controlled environment (about 24C). Does this mean that I have crap Thermal Interface Material between the die and the IHS or the cooler isn't capable of handling the CPU? I'm using a well ventilated case.

Should i delid the CPU?

Solution
Power consumption (Watts) needs to be monitored during "AVX rendering" in order to determine exactly how much load is actually being applied to your 8700.

Please download and run "Sensors Only" in Hardware Info - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Power consumption will reveal if the workload is overwhelming the cooler. As the H410R is a 4 pipe direct touch 92mm fan class cooler, it may indeed be inadequate, or marginal at best, for cooling a 6 core processor during a heavy AVX workload.

Also, check your motherboard's...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Power consumption (Watts) needs to be monitored during "AVX rendering" in order to determine exactly how much load is actually being applied to your 8700.

Please download and run "Sensors Only" in Hardware Info - https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Power consumption will reveal if the workload is overwhelming the cooler. As the H410R is a 4 pipe direct touch 92mm fan class cooler, it may indeed be inadequate, or marginal at best, for cooling a 6 core processor during a heavy AVX workload.

Also, check your motherboard's BIOS for a setting called "AVX offset". If the setting is "zero" you may need to change it to 2 or 3, which will downclock and downvolt the processor so the workload can't push the processor to 100°C throttle temperature. Moreover, if AVX offset is in "Auto", some motherboards have faulty BIOS where Auto doesn't work, but manual functions properly.

Repeat the rendering test while monitoring power, then post the results including AVX offset and thermal behavior.

CT :sol:

Solution

phuckhang10

Prominent
May 31, 2017

So i did test it again with "AVX offset" set to 2 and the max temp was 90 C on the package. But then it starts to get even more interesting, when i reset the AVX ratio offset to 0 again, It didnt throttle this time! Max was 93 C ---- Actually very weird . :|