Question CPU RECOMMEND -RTX 2060 & RTX 2070 BUILD

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Please help recommend compatible CPU + MOBO + PSU COMBO for RTX 2060 & RTX 2070 build.

Usage - 75% Extreme gaming @ 1440p ( expecting at least 60fps ) & movie experience on LG 27UK850 4K MONITOR 25%
note - no over clocking will be done in any near Future.

Help - please help justify ryzen vs Intel for gaming & future proof. Also, price to performance ratio please consider.

Please help recommend compatible CPU + MOBO + PSU COMBO for RTX 2060 & RTX 2070 build.

Usage - 75% Extreme gaming @ 1440p ( expecting at least 60fps ) & movie experience on LG 27UK850 4K MONITOR 25%

Help - please help justify ryzen vs Intel for gaming & future proof. Also, price to performance ratio please consider.

Well as you are looking at 1440p ~60 fps (I'm assuming max settings) you are going to be more GPU bound than anything, so right now any decent cpu should do the trick.

Value for money wise, the Ryzen 5 2600X is probably your best bet. It's 6C, 12 threads and as the 'X' model has 'XFR' which will get pretty much the most out of the chip so no need to overclock. Longevity wise, AMD have committed to support the AM4 platform until 2020 so you would be able to upgrade the cpu in a few years without changing anything else if needed (although I doubt you'll run into trouble with a 6C part soon). Pair that with a good B450 motherboard and you should be set.

If you prefer Intel, the i5 9600K would also be worth a look, although you should also pair that with a Z series motherboard and also needs an after market cooler (whereas the Ryzen cpu's come with a decent air cooler) so it will cost a bit more. The i5 has an edge in low resolution, high frame rate games (so gamers looking for 200+ fps at 1080p) but you probably aren't going to see a difference at 1440p max settings so you would be better saving the money and getting the better gpu instead.

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
I'm looking to play games at ultra max settings on a 4k monitor 27UK850.

please help recommend the model & variant for MOBO & PSU for both builds keeping bottlenecking into consideration.

I have been using Intel all these 10 years of gaming. With the ryzen introduction and from whatever I have read till now I have been included towards ryzen for gaming in 2019 and new games that are about to come in 2-3 years ahead.

I'm looking to play games at ultra max settings on a 4k monitor 27UK850.

please help recommend the model & variant for MOBO & PSU for both builds keeping bottlenecking into consideration.

I have been using Intel all these 10 years of gaming. With the ryzen introduction and from whatever I have read till now I have been included towards ryzen for gaming in 2019 and new games that are about to come in 2-3 years ahead.

Here's a PC Partpicker list of some good Ryzen 5 build:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bNYwkd

Yeah AMD really caught back up to Intel when they released Ryzen. A lot of people newer to tech forget AMD have been ahead of Intel in the past (they were neck and neck with the original Athlon vs the P3, and then overtook Intel with the Athlon 64). It was only more recently they made a big mistake with the FX processors that set them so far behind. Ryzen fixed those issues though.

Intel have good options as well, the i5 9600K is a good choice but needs a Z series motherboard and aftermarket cooling so it works out quite a bit more expensive for similar performance. The Intel I7 9700K and i9 9900K are both faster than Ryzen in games, but only at lower resolutions where the cpu is the bottleneck. If you are gaming at 4K you won't get the benefit.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
But I'm still confused. With new games or currents latest games. Is i5 8400 or Ryzen 2 2600x which is a better for gaming on a LGUK850 monitor @ 1440p ultra high settings ?
Under typical gaming scenarios both are more less equal,
Ryzen shines in productivity with additional 6 threads whereas i5 8400/9400 runs cooler.

CPU usage varies based on the games some might utilize 100% some 75%, it's relative and you should not be considering it as a factor for better CPU. At the end what you want is your CPU to run the game efficiently.(Less Power & Heat)

So if gaming is your only purpose go for Intel they provide best out of the box performance.

I'd personally suggest you to wait for Zen 2 before making a decision.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018

Dear ajinkys,
Taking into consideration all the above, your best choice is AMD's RYZEN 5 2600X paired with MSI's B450 Tomahawk unless you are planning to add a second GPU later down the road, then I'd recommend MSI X470 Gaming Pro.

AMD offers the best bang for the buck (best VFM) and also has the best path upgrade as the platform (AM4) will support any upcoming CPUs until 2020.

For a PSU, I'd recommend a Corsair RM650X (RM550X would also be enough but give yourself some headroom) for just 1 GPU or RM850X (Minimum), RM1000X (recommended) for a 2 GPU setup.

Kind regards