CPU recommendation for motherboard

fitzjustin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Hello all,

I have a computer that is getting a little older and wanted to do some upgrades with out destroying my piggy bank. I recently had my hard drive report that it is close to dying, so I bought a SSD (Manufacturer Recertified Corsair Force CSSD-F240GB2/RF2 2.5" 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

With it I upgraded my RAM with these (CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Desktop Memory Model VS2GBKIT667D2)

I would like to now upgrade my CPU as it appears it will be a potential bottleneck, but I don't know much about computers.

My computers specs currently are (I am waiting for my upgrades in the mail)

Hardware
Base processor
Athlon 64 X2 (W) 4200+ 2.0 GHz
• 2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
• Socket AM2
Chipset
GeForce 6150 LE
Motherboard
• Manufacturer: Asus
• Motherboard Name: A8M2N-LA
• HP/Compaq motherboard name: NodusM-GL8E
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 2 GB
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (4 x 1 GB)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-4200 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
Hard drive
• 250 GB SATA
• 7200 rpm
16X DVD(+/-)R/RW (+/-)R DL

I am currently looking at:
AMD Phenom X4 HD995ZXAJ4BGH 2.6GHz/2M Socket-AM2+ Quad-Core Processor CACVC

AMD Phenom X4 9550 2.2 GHz Quad-Core (HD9550WCJ4BGH) Processor w / Grease

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core 3 GHz ADA6000IAA6CZ 89W SOCKET AM2

That is really the extent of what I have looked at, and don't know if their is even something better at not too crazy of a price jump. Those 3 CPU's all seem to be in the $40-70 range.

My other problem is that I don't know how well they might integrate with my motherboard. After all my research I had a hard time determining which would be best because the answers always seem to relate directly to the motherboard and other components.

Please help.
Justin

fitzjustin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
Oh, I guess I should have added that I do have a better video card. The video card I have is a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT. I don't know if this would allow for me to get a better processor as well?

Regarding those processors that you listed my motherboard could handle. Would I even see a boost in performance from upgrading? It doesn't seem like that much of a jump. I currently have a Window's Rating of 4.9 on my processor, and would like to get it over 6 if possible. Everything else is close or better (The video card is 6.9).

Thanks,

fitzjustin

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I have been wondering this since you replied, but how can you tell what the max cpu my motherboard can handle based on looking at the specs? Do you just know from experience, or is there something that gives it away in the specs? Or do you have a website for quick reference on these types of things.

Thanks again for your help

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Many I know, many I check the mobo site, and some I just make up...... ;) just kidding on the last, couldn't resist ;) When helping on the forums I generally have a couple browsers open for questions and another 4+ windows open looking at other stuff or doing research

logainofhades

Titan