Question Cpu recommendation needed for gaming

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
I have a i5 4460 with a b85 motherboard, it doesn't perform that well in gaming nowadays, esp in titles that are more demanding like ac origins, metro exodus etc.

So i am looking to upgrade this setup-i am torn between i5 9400f and r5 2600,i wanted to buy the ryzen 3600 but it's quite expensive at the moment at where i live.

From the standpoint of gaming, which cpu would be a better choice? I5 9400f performs well in games, but i read somewhere it exhibits some stuttering in titles that are cpu intensive as it has only 6 threads.

Will the ryzen 2600 give slightly lower, albeit more stable performance in games(ie with minimal lag and stuttering)? If yes, should I go for it?

Also is the asus b450 m-a a good choice as the motherboard for this platform?

Another thing that i would also like to know is, out of the 2 aforementioned cpus, which 1 runs hotter when used with the stock cooler?

Oct 2, 2019
The Intel core i5 9400f is better at gaming but only for gaming. The 2600 has higher threads which means it will outperform the 9400f in benchamarks and desktop usage. If your onlt going to use your PC for gaming I would recommend the 9400f but if you want to be able to do other things on your PC such as using it for University study then I would recommend the Ryzen CPU, you will lose a few frames but you can easily resolve this by downgrading the graphics from very high to high or medium. With the 9400f, you will want to use a z370 or z390 chipset as you will benefit perfromance wise and you will be able to overclock provided your other components allow this. You are correct in saying that the b450 chipset is the better choice but as for the model, that is up to you (keep in mind what ports you need for your other components such as USB 3.1 headers and SATA headers). As for temperature, it varies depending on what games you run as some will favour the higher threaded ryzen which will allow it to run at lower temperatures than the i5 whereas some will favour the Intel CPU. Make sure you have ample airflow throughout your entire PC.

Here is a video from Science Studio explaining the two CPU's in better detail:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uOJJLqVWR8&t=422s

I am building a similar build to you and I have decided to use the Ryzen for its greater number of threads and for its better performance in non-gaming use

Reactions: Countess_C

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I had similar thoughts when I tried to decide between the Intel 9700K and 3700X. I went with the 3700X because it's a more all-round CPU.

The only thing I can add to the discussion is that maybe you could wait and save a little more for a Ryzen 3600 and maybe one of those MSI B450 MAX motherboards? That would be a good all-round system.

Edit: And the Ryzen 3500 and 3500X will be released this week.

Last edited: