Question CPU RED LED on - Gigabyte x570 Master with Ryzen 9 3900x - first boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2019
Good evening community,

This is my 3rd build in 3 years and never had any problem - thus not a pro but an enthusiast.

Just finished the build this afternoon (after waiting for Ryzen 9 3900x to come out of back order) and on first boot (before installing windows 10 - just going into the BIOS/UEFI) : RESULT = CPU RED LED on and obviously the monitor not working!!!!! So, unplugged everything and plugged back in again (listen for all the clicks, etc...); also took the CPU out and put it back in again gently, locked and put gently the cooler on top not to put to much pressure, etc.) and... NO LUCK.
And... yes the 8 PIN EPS connector is plugged in (in fact two are plugged in for OC).

Everything else lights up and works (GPU - fan working; G.Skill Neo, fans, Mastercooler liquid, etc...).

Also, the BIOS LED indicators (MBIOS_LED and BBIOS_LED) are lightning up in an alternative pattern every 15-20 seconds.

Any ideas what's going on?

I wrote to Gigabyte but will get an answer in 3-7 business days....

Thanks in advance to everyone who will take the time to reply, much appreciated.

Reactions: nadiritus

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The other guy bought his from Amazon. Just an odd coincidence.

Have you removed the CPU and inspected for bent/broken pins?

Also, the first boot can take quite a bit longer than usual as the BIOS maps out what devices are attached to it. Does anything ever appear on screen?

Aug 23, 2019
Thanks. Yes, I've looked at the CPU. The only thing I was able to get was out of the case with just the cpu, gpu and dram (no cooling - some people suggested that sometime the downforce (pressure) of the cooling system may interfere with the CPU) and the MOBO started the booting process but after 10-15 secondes shuts down and doesn't restart on its own. I tried to manually restarting it many times and once I got the monitor to turn on for just 5-6 secondes to see a screen and then boom, shuts down. But what I realized though is that in that short period of time, the CPU became hot like hell... so either it's the MOBO or the CPU!!!

So, since I've done everything I could (and that I know of) I created a ticket at Gigabyte and returned the motherboard do Newegg for a new one (to arrive in a couple of days). Will see if this works...and with all that waiting to get the new MOBO, I will probably go over the refund/replace period for the CPU!!!

Again thank you for your time.

Aug 23, 2019
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I had the Asus fan (came with the cpu) on but not a liquid cooler solution (CoolerMaster). Still, I could feel the heat coming out from there... That's what I meant.

bwojciec

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I have the exact same problem. Just purchased new 3900x for my rig.... I turn on the system, it powers up briefly, error codes 3E then shuts down. The little red LED light appears on the motherboard before it shuts off..... Contacted Gigabyte with a support ticket today...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have the exact same problem. Just purchased new 3900x for my rig.... I turn on the system, it powers up briefly, error codes 3E then shuts down. The little red LED light appears on the motherboard before it shuts off..... Contacted Gigabyte with a support ticket today...
You should start your own thread. Also, when you start your thread, list all of the components (make and model) installed in your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.