[SOLVED] CPU red light/ no visual

Jan 31, 2022
New to PC building and built my first one yesterday. Everything seemed absolutely fine until we came to power it on. It powers up and all the fans spin but there is no visual and the CPU red light comes on. I have tried a BIOS update and re checked all wires etc but still nothing seems to be working? The cooling system i have the fans do spin but the lights its supposed to have do not turn on could that be an issue for the cpu? Ive checked for bent pins and cannot see any.

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II
AMD RYZEN 7 5800 X
MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 RGB
CORSAIR RM 850X
CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 2X16GB
GTX 1660 SUPER
these are the parts

Last edited:
Solution
i did it with everything connected
try to take off all components, leaving just the motherboard connected to 24pin atx only, and perform the same exact same procedure you did before. you could just update it directly to the latest beta bios :D

Bios flashback procedure are best done with nothing but the motherboard only connected to 24pin atx and plug the usb drive to perform it. you know the drill :D
New to PC building and built my first one yesterday. Everything seemed absolutely fine until we came to power it on. It powers up and all the fans spin but there is no visual and the CPU red light comes on. I have tried a BIOS update and re checked all wires etc but still nothing seems to be working? The cooling system i have the fans do spin but the lights its supposed to have do not turn on could that be an issue for the cpu? Ive checked for bent pins and cannot see any.
also when we plugged in the graphics card it kept shorting the power supply??

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II
AMD RYZEN 7
MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 RGB
CORSAIR RM 850X
RAM CORSAIR 32GB 2X16GB
GTX 1660 SUPER
these are the parts
did you tried to bios update via the button on the back? if so, did you done it with all the components plugged, or just motherboard connected to 24atx power only?

i did it with everything connected
try to take off all components, leaving just the motherboard connected to 24pin atx only, and perform the same exact same procedure you did before. you could just update it directly to the latest beta bios :D

Bios flashback procedure are best done with nothing but the motherboard only connected to 24pin atx and plug the usb drive to perform it. you know the drill :D

Solution
Jan 31, 2022

Ah ok! i will give that a whirl after work. Will report back later. thank you 😄

Also many newer Ryzen motherboards on first turning on do internal calibration tasks and begin to respond only after few minutes. If RAM and GPU are seated properly, 3-5 minutes after first turning on till something appear on screen is nothing weird.

OP, do CMOS reset and try again.

Jan 31, 2022

sadly this didnt work :( even tried a reset of the CMOS battery too