Question CPU red light, screen black

taramisu

Commendable
Jun 10, 2019
Hey all,

So I built my PC about 6 years ago, and haven't had many issues, but recently I tried to boot it up and had nothing but a black screen.

When booting it makes all the post sounds and all the fans turn on, but the screen stays black, and there is a solid red CPU LED.

After making sure all the connections were tight and hooking it up to a different monitor to make sure that wasn't the issue, I thought the issue might be the psu, because I had been having some issues with the CPU fan for a few months (it sometimes wouldn't turn on right away during start up).

So I just got done replacing the psu, turn it on, and still have the same issue. CPU solid red LED, black monitor (though now at least the CPU fan turns on right away).

I'm guessing what happened was the old PSU was indeed dying (it was 6 years old after all) and not giving the CPU fan enough power, and one day when the fan was having issues, the CPU burned out, and now I need to replace that too. But before I buy it, I figured I'd get y'all's thoughts on the matter.

Do you think I'm right in the assumption that my CPU is fried and needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Specs:
ASUS M5A99X EVO motherboard
AMD FX-8350
Nvidia GTX 970
EVGA 750w bronze power supply

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
Hey all,

So I built my PC about 6 years ago, and haven't had many issues, but recently I tried to boot it up and had nothing but a black screen.

When booting it makes all the post sounds and all the fans turn on, but the screen stays black, and there is a solid red CPU LED.

After making sure all the connections were tight and hooking it up to a different monitor to make sure that wasn't the issue, I thought the issue might be the psu, because I had been having some issues with the CPU fan for a few months (it sometimes wouldn't turn on right away during start up).

So I just got done replacing the psu, turn it on, and still have the same issue. CPU solid red LED, black monitor (though now at least the CPU fan turns on right away).

I'm guessing what happened was the old PSU was indeed dying (it was 6 years old after all) and not giving the CPU fan enough power, and one day when the fan was having issues, the CPU burned out, and now I need to replace that too. But before I buy it, I figured I'd get y'all's thoughts on the matter.

Do you think I'm right in the assumption that my CPU is fried and needs to be replaced?

Thanks!

Specs:
ASUS M5A99X EVO motherboard
AMD FX-8350
Nvidia GTX 970
EVGA 750w bronze power supply
try the ram, take the ram out clean the ram contacts, and put it back in,
try using a another ram module if you have a spare
also try running the computer on a single stick of ram on each of the slots to see if it will boot up.

Had the same issue on two of my old computers, just a black screen on my monitor on boot, replacing ram fixed it. The other one had a lot of dust in it so, taking the ram out and wiping the dust off fixed it.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019
Got the same problem.. fans running, everything looks well and good, but the black screen and that red light, read this on Quora : " the red light, when off ,indicates that the hard disk is being written " .. could it be the hard disk for the problem ?