CPU refuses to go above 10%

Thusko

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
I just bought a $3,000 dollar computer. It works fine besides the fact that when I run simulations for my 3D work on my CPU, it plateaus at 10%. Like a literal straight line. And then when I try to move my mouse, the cursor has a frame rate of like 1 FPS despite the fact 90% of the i7 6800K processor is just sitting there! This has happened on multiple programs doing to different things. Please help...

By the way, I have a GTX 1080ti and a Samsung Nvme hard drive so the CPU isn't being bottlenecked.

Solution
Why has no one suggested he contact the manufacturer of his pc? LOGIC, anyways my dude call up whoever you bought your pc from and see if they can help you (If your product is new, they 100% have to help). They built it and loaded all the junk software (that is probably the cause anyways), so they know what to do.

Thusko

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
It is a multithreaded program and I did turn off all the power saving settings in the bios and settings on windows. I also checked the temp while it's freezing and it's perfectly cool. Any other suggestions?

ComputerGeek21

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
just check you power settings for the current plan you are on
- right click the battery in the bottom right for your screen
- click "power options"
- on the selected power plan click "change plan settings"
- click "change advanced power settings"
- in the tab that should have just opened look for and open "processor power management"
- open the "maximum processor state" and check that the settings for both on battery and power are up to 100%

you can check your other related settings like minimum power usage

Thusko

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
I did that and it didn't seem to make a difference. I really don't get what's going on. I mean it's like a literal straight line the entire time. Pretty much 3,000 down the drain. :(

Thusko

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5oCoqeORq5qTTB4VDd4U0hZQk0/view?usp=sharing

Also the reason it's not completely a straight line anymore is because I enabled all the performance mode options I could. All they really did is make little spikes like in the picture. Also, before I enabled all the performance mode stuff, only one Core of the CPU was being used and it was being used 100% but all the other cores were at 1% or less (this added up to 10% for the whole CPU). So I enabled Sync All Cores setting in my Asus motherboard (which I thought would fix it) and now all the cores are only being partially used, but, still adding up to the annoying 10% limit. Thanks so much for helping.

Heres a better example https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5oCoqeORq5qUE1JR1ZRREtwWms/view?usp=sharing

Are your programs installed on the same OS drive, or on a separate/possibly much slower (or even malfunctioning) storage drive, perhaps?

As I have no experience with your application, you might have to test other applications to determine if this is a multi-processor-aware issue with your chosen program, or , and actual hardware issue...

If the Intel test passes, I'm guessing the processor is ok....

Thusko

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Ya It doesn't seem to be any of those. :( I mean like I said it's across multiple programs so it's probably not the programs fault. It'd be to much of a coincidence that both are limiting my CPU usage to the same percentage. One of those programs is also installed on the OS hard drive and the other program an another hard drive. And svghost in on windows 32 folder. Thanks for your help. Perhaps it's something with the motherboard. I'm not much of a computer expert but since the intel test passed, that must mean the CPU itself isn't defective or anything.

Thusko

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Now that I think about it, I remember for a while the USB ports on my motherboard kept acting weird. I have a keyboard and mouse go through a wireless usb thingy, and several times they stopped working until I moved the USB thing to another port. Same thing happened to the USB thing I get wifi with.

nuke and pave, delete partition, quick format full reinstall
All chipset drivers
all gpu drivers
all windows updates

see what a Defender and Malwarebytes scan does to processor usage? (Defender alone takes me to 12%, MBAM 3.0 takes me to 90-100%; you could see less having 2.5X more cores...