[SOLVED] CPU refuses to go above 900 Mhz

pedrolopez

Commendable
Nov 18, 2019
Hey there. I have had this PC for around 2 years now, and have recently noticed that my PC refuses to go above 900Mhz, no matter what. I've tried running intensive benchmarks such as Cinebench r20, but it just wont go above.

Intel Power Gadget, Core temp and task manager all report the cpu never going above 900 Mhz. My power useage idles at around 9 Watts, while going to 15 watts maximum, so i think it might be a power issue.

PC specs, my PC is pre-built by Zoostorm:
CPU: i5-4460s
RAM: 8GB ddr3
GPU: Integrated
Hard Drive: WWD Green 2016

Solution
Hey guys, thank you all so much for your help!

I managed to find the issue, for some reason, stating in "silent mode" limits the CPU clock speed. Quite odd.

Anyway now my processor runs at 3Ghz, above even the 2.9 i was expecting.

Once again, thanks for your help!

4745454b

Titan
What type of PC do you have? I see an S CPU and a green HDD. With 15W max draw I'm guessing its some sort of tiny PC? My guess is that Zoostorm configured it to stay in a very low power state. Messing with things to try and get it to go faster will result in horrible things happening.

Why is this an issue? Why are you trying to get it to go above 900MHz? Everything you have in that PC is lowend and you don't have a dedicated GPU so gaming with it will always be bad. Even if you got the CPU to go faster. I'm not sure what you are trying to do but the answer is a new PC.

Reactions: norcalsc

pedrolopez

Commendable
Nov 18, 2019
What type of PC do you have? I see an S CPU and a green HDD. With 15W max draw I'm guessing its some sort of tiny PC? My guess is that Zoostorm configured it to stay in a very low power state. Messing with things to try and get it to go faster will result in horrible things happening.

Why is this an issue? Why are you trying to get it to go above 900MHz? Everything you have in that PC is lowend and you don't have a dedicated GPU so gaming with it will always be bad. Even if you got the CPU to go faster. I'm not sure what you are trying to do but the answer is a new PC.

Hey there, sorry for the late reply.

The exact model of my computer is a 9876-3227A. My PC is an all in one, but with a 21.5 inch screen i is relatively large. It isn't exactly thin either.

A few months back I was tinkering with BIOS to enable my PC to boot from USB, but in the process i think i may have somehow limited the frequency to 900Mhz, as before that point my PC was a lot snappier, and its a fair bit slower now.

I just want the extra Ghz as i want my pc restored to the snappy state it was in before, and hopefully to do some basic coding a bit faster than i can now. I am also not able to buy a new PC.

pedrolopez

Commendable
Nov 18, 2019
i looked up the model number of that PC and that ain't it. i believe this is it
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoostorm-21-5-inch-All-Media-Desktop/dp/B00JJHD01Q?th=1

and those units seemed to be plagued with issues

Thank you.

That is odd, as my BIOS and windows itself say that the model number is the one I said. I notice the Zoostorm does not seem to be a very good manufacturer, and I don't know if there's much i can do to fix this issue, apart from avoid Zoostorm PCs in the future.

pedrolopez

Commendable
Nov 18, 2019
Hey guys, thank you all so much for your help!

I managed to find the issue, for some reason, stating in "silent mode" limits the CPU clock speed. Quite odd.

Anyway now my processor runs at 3Ghz, above even the 2.9 i was expecting.

Once again, thanks for your help!

Solution