[SOLVED] CPU related issue ONLY playing CSGO

Status
Not open for further replies.

irbullet

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
So, I am totally baffled. The second I launch CSGO it adds a blueish tint to my screen (probably unrelated to the CPU issue) and downclocks then upclocks my CPU like precision boost overdrive is kicking in (when it is disabled) and throws 1.4v at it (not ok). Does this whether I have my CPU overclocked or at factory settings. AND occasionally changes my power plan. I've tried various settings with launch options and game settings to no avail. It also re-enables precision boost overdrive at times in the bios. I've tried so many things, even downgrading bios, resetting CMOS and tinkering around in there. Disabling all apps etc, nothing from it. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 + a MSI B450 Tomahawk max.

Any ideas? This doesn't make any sense.
Thank you.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Csgo doesn't use many threads, like between 2 and 4. Depending on threads used, turbo boost clocks will vary and 1.4v is perfectly normal at the upper end of boost.

I doubt very much csgo actually changes power plan to a different plan or even alters bios settings, this is impossible.

Where did you get the game from?

irbullet

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
Csgo doesn't use many threads, like between 2 and 4. Depending on threads used, turbo boost clocks will vary and 1.4v is perfectly normal at the upper end of boost.

I doubt very much csgo actually changes power plan to a different plan or even alters bios settings, this is impossible.

Where did you get the game from?
The game is from steam. It's actually doing these things.

I have PBO off, using manual OC or with it at the default settings (PBO disabled) it still does it. It should not be doing this. It does it even if I underclock the CPU manually and raise volts or vice versa. The second I launch it these things occur.

irbullet

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
Can ya list your full PC specs please. And also share pictures of the settings involved that change.
Here is a video of what is happening instead of trying to explain the odd thing happening:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J4MyHsyM7k

Specs;
Case: Corsair 275r
Motherboard: MSI Tomahawk B450 Max
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB ram
GPU: 11GB Gigabyte Aorus 1080 Ti Xtreme
SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB
PSU: EVGA Supernova G3 650w

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the vid and your specs are good.

Im not sure what's going on. One thing i can suggest is try balanced power plan, either Windows version or Ryzen variant.

If you try, go into advanced power options and set minimum processor state to 10%. Max leave default.

irbullet

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the vid and your specs are good.

Im not sure what's going on. One thing i can suggest is try balanced power plan, either Windows version or Ryzen variant.

If you try, go into advanced power options and set minimum processor state to 10%. Max leave default.
I've done all of these things with no luck. I'm thinking of installing windows to another partition to see if it happens on a fresh install with nothing else installed.

irbullet

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
I've found the solution, apparently MSI Dragon center's "Game Mode" was on and it had the "system performance" and "true color" checked for CSGO. Even when I did not have the program running those services were still running in the background and could still function somehow. I didn't notice until I was going through task manager and closing possibly conflicting processes.

I feel pretty stupid, but I did not even know that was a function of Dragon Center, I only use it to control my RGB on motherboard / CPU Cooler. Lesson learned.

I don't see a marked as solved option on OP though.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju
May 16, 2020
So, I am totally baffled. The second I launch CSGO it adds a blueish tint to my screen (probably unrelated to the CPU issue) and downclocks then upclocks my CPU like precision boost overdrive is kicking in (when it is disabled) and throws 1.4v at it (not ok). Does this whether I have my CPU overclocked or at factory settings. AND occasionally changes my power plan. I've tried various settings with launch options and game settings to no avail. It also re-enables precision boost overdrive at times in the bios. I've tried so many things, even downgrading bios, resetting CMOS and tinkering around in there. Disabling all apps etc, nothing from it. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 + a MSI B450 Tomahawk max.

Any ideas? This doesn't make any sense.
Thank you.

Can you try to go to cs go and dissable multicore-rendering and see what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.