CPU related to ram stick and graphic card

MarcusCody

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Hi guys , im using the CPU model i5-4460 From the intel

Link of the CPU Model : http://ark.intel.com/products/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

So guys, click the link and you will see the specifications of the CPU , but i have some STUPID question about that. Check out the ''Max Memory Size (On the Memory Specifications table)'' and the ''Graphics Video Max Memory (On the Graphics Specifications)'' , So if i plan to purchase the new Nvidia 1060 graphic card which is 6GB but the Graphics Video Max Memory of my CPU is 2GB, is there any problem? The card will compatible with my CPU? Also if my ram is over 32GB, it will work?

Solution

yes as long as your power supply can handle it 450w 80 plus at the very least

the graphics max memory of the cpu is intergrated graphics on a chip which means if you were not using a 1060 it would eat 2gb of your ram.

when you plug in a 1060 it will turn of the intergrated graphics and use the 1060 freeing up that ram.

also noted do not confuse video ram with your cpu ram

it means you can only have up to 32gb of cpu ram

so you could have 32gb of cpu ram

and a 6gb and 8gb video card and it...

MarcusCody

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016

So i can get the 6GB Nvidia GTX 1060 GPU?

neblogai

Distinguished
Not sure about the 32 GB system RAM limit, as most games right now use about 8GB, and 16GB should be enough for next 5 years or so. Also, motherboard has it's own limit on system RAM.
As for the Video RAM- no need to worry- this 2GB limit is for the integrated GPU. You can use discreet GPU with any amount of VRAM you want. I'd recommend a card with at least 4GB, 6GB is perfect for a card like GTX1060.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Once you get a dedicated GPU, you will not longer use the onboard graphics. As I understand it, switching between onboard and discreet gpu's is only done in laptops (optimus?). So to answer your question, no, it wont be an issue. yes it will be compatible.

apk24

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
If you did not use a discrete GPU (dGPU), the Graphics Video Max Memory specification would matter to you. But you're adding in your own GPU so you don't need to worry about it.

The CPU comes with a GPU built in, called an integrated GPU (iGPU). The Graphics Max Memory specification is how much of your system RAM that integrated GPU can use as it's own VRAM.

yes as long as your power supply can handle it 450w 80 plus at the very least

the graphics max memory of the cpu is intergrated graphics on a chip which means if you were not using a 1060 it would eat 2gb of your ram.

when you plug in a 1060 it will turn of the intergrated graphics and use the 1060 freeing up that ram.

also noted do not confuse video ram with your cpu ram

it means you can only have up to 32gb of cpu ram

so you could have 32gb of cpu ram

and a 6gb and 8gb video card and it work fine

personally you dont need more then 8gb the max i recomend to people is 16gb.

you would only need to go higher if you were possibly doing alot of video editing

Solution