CPU replacement needed? Need help with 100% usage during gaming. (i5 6500)

Obsidius

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
Hi, I have an i5 6500 @ 3.2ghz (other specs at end of question) and have recently noticed that my idle CPU usage is around 45%. During games this easily ticks into the 90s and often spikes at 100%, causing massive frame rate drops. I can confirm that during these times by GPU is running at a mere 60% usage, this is textbook bottlenecking.

I was surprised to find that Battlefield 1 runs at a mere 30fps and below (with stuttering) even on the lowest settings due to this, and games like Borderlands 2 have been experiencing the same issue, and they weren't before (a couple months ago). I was wondering, what could cause this? I have a friend with the same specs as me who is running Battlefield 1 without any issues on the highest settings. Is it worth me replacing CPU? And if so, what's a good LGA 1511 socket CPU that I could replace it for?

Specs:
GPU: GTX 970 4GB EVGA
CPU: i5 6500 3.2ghz quad core
RAM: 16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance
Motherboard: MSI b150m Bazooka
PSU: 600W
HDD: 2TB SATA Seagate
SDD: 240gb Samsung

Solution
Agree, sounds like Windows getting up to date. It should settle down in a few days. If it doesn't, I'd suggest wiping your drive and starting fresh. Although an i5 6500 will probably not let you get a constant perfect 60fps in games like Battlefield, you should be getting a lot more than 30.

MrKrako

Respectable
Apr 17, 2016

That sounds like a virus. Some viruses takes advantage of the svchost.exe process to make the system go slower. Have you scanned your pc? Maybe that's the reason.

Could be windows updates downloading/installing.
Post screenshot from Resource Monitor - Disk tab (order by total descending and with file names visble).

You got any wireless adaptor in your motherboard? Because 20% for the wireless adaptor is pretty high, i also check your motherbaord is does not have a wireless adaptor, usually bitminers would hide themselves into known products hogging resources. click on the RtWLan.exe process and then right click and open location and tell me what is the location opened.

Obsidius

Reputable
Oct 14, 2015
{IMG}http://imageshack.com/i/pluZqLLmp{/IMG}{/URL}

I do have a wireless adapter, and I have scanned my PC for malware and found nothing on any of the programs I ran. When opening the file location for RtWLan.exe it comes up with the appropriate wireless adapter install location on my C: drive.

Agree, sounds like Windows getting up to date. It should settle down in a few days. If it doesn't, I'd suggest wiping your drive and starting fresh. Although an i5 6500 will probably not let you get a constant perfect 60fps in games like Battlefield, you should be getting a lot more than 30.

Solution