Question CPU ripped out - Socket dead?

Dec 2, 2023
Hello everyone,

I had a little accident a few days ago.
I wanted to give my computer a nice clean. While disassembling my CPU cooler (Scythe Mugen 5 ARGB) the thermal grease appeared to be so sticky that while removing the cooler it ripped the CPU straight out with it. Out of the locked CPU socket. That was a Ryzen 5 3600x on the MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS mainboard.

I had some bent pins and another one broke off. I tried to bend the pins back as best as I could but when assembling everything back together, the computer just didn't power on anymore.
Since I was planning to upgrade it anyways, I just said screw it and ended up buying a new CPU, the Ryzen 7 5800X3D.

It came in yesterday and I went ahead to install it.
The computer does turn on now! Fans spin, lights kick in. But now I got the EZ Debug red light for the CPU. I took it back out, pins are all okay and it slides in the socket perfectly. I checked all the connectors and they looked fine. RAM is in the right slots. Everything has power. I ended up resetting the CMOS and then manually flashing the latest bios on the bare board with nothing but the mainboard and the 8 pin CPU and 24 pin ATX power attached. The flashing went without any problems, but what I found very curious is that even on the bare board during flashing, the EZ Debug CPU light was lit.

Does that mean the board is dead? I assume that when the CPU ripped out, it must've damaged the socket in some way. Since the new CPU slides in just right, I guess there are no pins or anything left in the socket.

Does anyone have any idea on what to do? I sadly don't have another system to see if maybe the new CPU is the culprit, but since the CPU light was lit even on the bare board, I assume that this is the culprit.

Thanks in advance!

Couldn’t be you don’t have a bios for the new cpu? Does your board have bios flashback?

Might give that a whirl.

Btw, tip I learned from another guy. When you get ready to remove your cpu cooler, start up the system for about 5 minutes to heat up the thermal paste.

Shut off the pc and twist the cooler side to side a few times which usually helps break the seal the thermal grease has with the cpu. Then pull the cooler straight up so hopefully pins don’t bend.

But if your x570 is an older revision, there may be a shot that you need a newer bios. Check the socket carefully as well. I suppose worst case grab a b550 board.

Reactions: Shizaho
Dec 2, 2023
Couldn’t be you don’t have a bios for the new cpu? Does your board have bios flashback?

Might give that a whirl.

Btw, tip I learned from another guy. When you get ready to remove your cpu cooler, start up the system for about 5 minutes to heat up the thermal paste.

Shut off the pc and twist the cooler side to side a few times which usually helps break the seal the thermal grease has with the cpu. Then pull the cooler straight up so hopefully pins don’t bend.

But if your x570 is an older revision, there may be a shot that you need a newer bios. Check the socket carefully as well. I suppose worst case grab a b550 board.
Thank you for the tip, I'll definitely consider that the next time I'll have to remove the cooler.

I did flash the latest bios after resetting the CMOS to see if that would fix it. The flashing went fine but even during the flashing the CPU light was on.
I could not see any issues with the socket itself.

At this point I am also thinking of getting a B550, was just wondering if there were any other things to try.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Hello everyone,

I had a little accident a few days ago.
I wanted to give my computer a nice clean. While disassembling my CPU cooler (Scythe Mugen 5 ARGB) the thermal grease appeared to be so sticky that while removing the cooler it ripped the CPU straight out with it. Out of the locked CPU socket. That was a Ryzen 5 3600x on the MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS mainboard.

I had some bent pins and another one broke off. I tried to bend the pins back as best as I could but when assembling everything back together, the computer just didn't power on anymore.
Since I was planning to upgrade it anyways, I just said screw it and ended up buying a new CPU, the Ryzen 7 5800X3D.

It came in yesterday and I went ahead to install it.
The computer does turn on now! Fans spin, lights kick in. But now I got the EZ Debug red light for the CPU. I took it back out, pins are all okay and it slides in the socket perfectly. I checked all the connectors and they looked fine. RAM is in the right slots. Everything has power. I ended up resetting the CMOS and then manually flashing the latest bios on the bare board with nothing but the mainboard and the 8 pin CPU and 24 pin ATX power attached. The flashing went without any problems, but what I found very curious is that even on the bare board during flashing, the EZ Debug CPU light was lit.

Does that mean the board is dead? I assume that when the CPU ripped out, it must've damaged the socket in some way. Since the new CPU slides in just right, I guess there are no pins or anything left in the socket.

Does anyone have any idea on what to do? I sadly don't have another system to see if maybe the new CPU is the culprit, but since the CPU light was lit even on the bare board, I assume that this is the culprit.

Thanks in advance!
Hopefully won't happen again. Next time wiggle the cooler to help loosen the thermal paste.

Reactions: Shizaho